Director, Media Solutions (New York City or DC)
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18002RM6
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
This position is responsible for leading the Media Solutions team within the Global Paid Media Center of Excellence. The role provides strategic guidance and development for key platforms, products and systems in support of the Paid Media team within the Global Marketing Optimization organization. As leader of these activities, the candidate will be expected to manage internal staff as well as work with a number of technology and media partners to ensure efficient and effective continuation of the programs and enhancement and development. The candidate is also expected to work closely with internal product teams to deliver new functionality, requiring a deep understanding of Marriott systems and emerging/enabling technology. This role relies heavily on the ability to network, build relationships and gain alignment across the organization throughout Global Marketing, Marriott Digital, Brand, Continent teams, Franchise partner organizations, Revenue Management, and Owner and Franchise Services.
The Director will be responsible managing all aspects of the PLUS Platform – Marriott’s proprietary digital marketing buying and reporting platform designed to enable more effective and efficient media buying worldwide. This role will champion the PLUS product vision through Marriott and with agency/ development partners by partnering with dozens of stakeholder teams. The Director is responsible for framing the strategic opportunities, overseeing the development of the product roadmap and new publishing partner integrations, product design (features and deliverables) and implementation, while also ensuring the daily operations run smoothly and maintain the strong commitment to the highest levels of System Availability, Revenue, and Return on Investment for all hotels, continents and brands participating. This role will present the PLUS Platform vision, actions, and results at various internal conferences, to various levels of Executive management, and through internal tradeshow environments.
- Oversee and leads a series of technical platforms and programs that enable the effectiveness of Marriott’s global paid media:
- Drives the implementation of various pilots as it relates to call tracking and Marriott systems integration
- Provide oversight on Marriott’s rate cache and rate distribution for media and marketing partners. Continue to evolve this functionality through the use of APIs.
- Explore and expand above capabilities as appropriate
- Champions the PLUS Platform product roadmap, stays abreast and champion’s implementations and changes to technology platforms, working through new integrations as needed (see below)
- Oversee multiple budgets in support of media solutions programs, provide estimates, timelines, forecasts as needed.
- Serves as point of contact on behalf of Global Paid Media COE department for development initiatives and special projects that affect paid media performance and tracking
- Stay apprised of the competitive landscape, provide insight and recommendations as it relates to media technology capabilities. Provide strategic direction for the adoption and implementation of new/existing technology in conjunction with Marketing Orchestration and Personalization team.
- Responsible for setting and achieving revenue and operational goals associated with all programs.
- Manage P&L budget associated with department
- Other projects as assigned
Development of a World-Class Global Product: PLUS Platform
- Define and quantify the PLUS Platform product vision and ongoing opportunity for current and future publishing partners
- Direct the entire product lifecycle from strategic planning to tactical activities for the PLUS Platform
- Build and lead a cross discipline team to deliver and manage product (e.g. user experience design, business analysis, technical, paid media, marketing).
- Gather and analyze feedback from the market, the field, strategy, marketing, and development to improve and influence Platform
- Build deep understanding of our customer profiles and needs and define market/ hotel level challenges
- Leverage market and competitive knowledge to identify opportunities and drive product improvements
- Assess product opportunities with partner, agency and media team
- Create solutions, leveraging both internal assets and strategic 3rd party partnerships
- Building upon and setting priorities for the current product roadmap for the Platform such as:
- Growth and scalability of global media partners:
- CPC/ Click based placements
- Display ads
- Paid search
- M.com placements and other owned channels as appropriate
- Social media
- Enhancements such as user-facing reporting dashboard, UX improvements, automated administrative functions, cost structure, etc.
- Other opportunities as discovered or defined
- Drive Platform positioning through marketing collateral and value proposition messaging and communications
- Direct the development of Platform educational series program and corresponding materials (webinars, training guides, etc.)
- Continually evaluating product suite and considering build/partner/buy for product extensions to improve active hotel retention
- Proactively monitor the competitive landscape to identify threats and opportunities.
- Partner closely with Global and Regional media and marketing teams to identify expansion opportunities through more sophisticated buying capabilities and new publishing partners
- Provide direction, feedback and necessary approvals for the creation of requirements for new product features with development partner and internal team
- Drive and direct the development of new features/solutions across cross-functional teams (e.g. design, development, marketing, brands)
- Coordinate market testing of new partners in conjunction with paid media team and Marketing and Channel Analytics (CX)
- Direct the development and dissemination of communications for internal executives, the field, marketing and revenue management as needed for product rollouts, new partner additions, and training
- Monitor media activity and manage advertising success metrics/ KPIs
- Oversee the development and management of Comprehensive Project Plans which include resource plans, timelines, dependencies, scope, estimates, budgets, issues, risks and risk mitigation plans, business process changes and other operational needs to bring and maintain a product in market.
- Oversee the development of documentation such as presentations and status reports for audiences from executive level to project team and directly to properties globally.
- Lead procurement efforts as needed (e.g new tools, new vendors), write statements of work and manage external vendors
Staff and Organizational Development
- Maintains high performance levels by hiring the best candidates. Creates job descriptions, works with recruiting to find the best talent, participates in interview process, and makes final hiring decisions.
- Provides direct reports and team with development opportunities. Effectively guides and coaches team members.
- Proactively addresses performance issues while aligning performance and rewards to departmental goals.
- Creates and implements appropriate departmental structure to meet current program needs.
- Anticipates staffing requirements by comparing business needs with strengths and weaknesses of existing team.
- Supports department-wide efforts to improve department culture and work environment as reflected in annual associate engagement survey results.
CANDIDATE PROFILE - KEY TALENTS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
- Strong track record of developing new strategies, defining implementation plans, and gaining buy-in for execution
- Experienced in product innovation, product management, account service and/or new product execution in the Paid Media and Digital/ eCommerce space
- Extremely strong leadership skills that inspire team confidence and respect while motivating team members in a creative and effective manner.
- Ability to interact effectively with creative and technical team members and partners to achieve optimal solutions.
- Ability to successfully manage a direct team and team of cross-functional professionals.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and meeting facilitation skills required to lead team members, internal and external partners, vendors and meetings.
- Strong leadership, analytical, problem solving and influence skills to directly manage or manage through influence efforts that translate data into actionable insights and game-changing deliverables.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the digital and/or online travel and/or retail competitive environment
- Demonstrated success in a matrix-managed environment and across multiple and diverse groups
- Strong written and oral communication skills with strong presentation skills and demonstrated success as a product spokesperson.
- Passion for digital media, marketing and technology
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willing to take calculated risks
- Very detail oriented and organized
- Critical thinker with excellent judgment and strong initiative
- Experience estimating and managing large budgets
- Travel industry experience is a plus.
Education and Professional Certification
- BS/BA degree required in a related field with a graduate level and project management certification preferred.
- 8-10 years’ experience in similar position or having equivalent kind of skills experience.
- 5-7 years’ Internet-based project management experience required.