Experience Designer, Mobile and Digital Guest Services
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18002DBM
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
As Experience Designer you are an experienced design thinker, communicator, advocate, and mentor within the team and across the organization. You’ll be responsible for the ideation, execution, and delivery of digital products for Marriott’s global business, across multiple customer and associate digital touchpoints.
You’ll support a vision for how experiences should be designed and contribute a set of advanced user experience skills, working directly with counterparts in product management, application development, user research, and testing to help create successful products for users across all of Marriott's digital services. You’ll also create a cohesive brand expression across various digital touch points throughout the digital travel journey for individual hotels, a portfolio of rich hotel brands, and loyalty programs.
In the course of your work with Marriott’s digital products, you’ll come in every day ready to tackle interesting, challenging work across one or more product lines and platforms. This role is responsible for the experience design of our native mobile application platforms iOS (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch) and Android (phone and tablet form factors) including and wearables, desktop, tablet, on-property systems and related products.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Work directly and collaboratively with your manager to support digital design strategy and specifications where your decisions will align with high-level organizational strategies and KPIs
- Design user interaction, navigational hierarchies, and workflow models tailored for Mobile
- Support Marriott Digital Products leadership by articulating design strategies
- Present concepts and final deliverables to your UX manager, product, development teams, and stakeholders, with strong rationale for design directions and solutions
- Champion great experiences, based on customer insights, user research, data, business strategy, and UX best practices
- Act as an advocate for UX standards and guidelines
- Collaborate with a variety of stakeholders, departments, and internal customers, winning confidence and building relationships that promote partnership
- Deliver on deadlines while managing multiple tracks of work
- Stay on top of the latest technology and techniques being used by our direct competitors and other eCommerce sites, apps, and services
- Promoting a culture where critique and feedback are central to the work we do, and ensuring that team members have regular opportunities to critique and have work critiqued
- Staying focused on continuously improving and re-evaluating best practices, standards and processes
- Working in a SAFe (agile) collaborative environment with people who have a variety of skills — like user experience design, research, product management and front/back-end development — collectively contributing to the end product.
- Creating and contributing to customer journey mapping, understanding and solutioning for guest and associate pain points
You’ll work with a variety of teams, each practicing design in various product development settings. These include SAFe Agile’s fast-paced, iterative product discovery and execution that supports large, complex projects where you’ll keep track of many challenges and collaborating to solve multifaceted problems with other teams; and to a lesser extent, marketing in a more traditional, client-agency model with faster turnaround times, and limited resources and support.
CANDIDATE PROFILE – KEY TALENTS
AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Have superior communication and interpersonal skills, including strong facilitation, presentation, storytelling, sketching and critiquing skills
- Have a solid foundation in UX design principles and best practices, and a passion for creating meaningful digital experiences
- Can balance user, business and technical needs, and will go to bat for users if things are out of kilter
- Have experience designing native mobile apps with features for on-property guest experience – in particular digital room key, mobile dining, and mobile check-in, in room touchpoints as well as features for search, book, and loyalty programs
- Have experience leading design in a scaled agile framework (SAFe) and bring a collaborative, iterative and flexible mindset to deliver features or improvements in sprint cycles
- Inspire confidence and lead through example
- Help teams define a product’s problem areas from our users’ perspective
- Value deadlines, set realistic expectations around them and then meet them
- Have a current understanding of responsive web, frameworks and native mobile app technologies and principles— like platform human interaction guidelines for iOS and Android, on-property systems, front-end development frameworks, plus Content Management Systems, Web Services, responsive design, and APIs—and know how they’re integrated and used
- Can establish successful long-term relationships in your core areas and influence others
- Feel comfortable with basic statistics and analysis, and can use data to inform your decisions
- Are proficient with Sketch, Zeplin, Invision, Confluence and Jira for designing, managing and communicating daily work
- Are experienced with prototyping and researching concepts (inVision, Framer, HTML)
- Have base and advanced experience with UX design approaches, techniques, methods and best practices as well as enterprise and soft skills necessary to successfully convey and deliver UX work.
- Mentor less experienced designers and contribute to a team culture of curiosity, learning, and discovery
Our ideal candidate has all of these skills. If you’re missing one, but are passionate about learning new things, we still want to talk with you.
You have a brilliant portfolio of native mobile app experience designs and have led the design of features for native app releases and been responsible for the planning and execution of significant aspects of those releases. Also:
- You are able to take advantage of responsive/adaptive web design best practices
- You have mastered iOS and Android design standards, but base your work first on a solid foundation of interaction design expertise
- You are able to articulate the role of native apps in addressing a particular business challenge
- You zealously explore mobile and touch-based design’s unique challenges and potential.
You’re a master of advanced techniques of interaction design, and can’t wait to wow us with a portfolio that shows it. Also:
- You design how systems respond to the actions of users, with the goal of optimizing the satisfaction of those users’ specific goals
- You can think through an interaction and communicate it to potential users, your team and stakeholders through sketches, wireframes or prototypes
- You can see all of the edge cases an interaction may spawn, but balance this through judicious use of the 80/20 rule
- You have strong awareness of common interaction patterns used by competitors and the general industry, and know how to apply them
- You're comfortable working with standards and guidelines for interactions and components, but also creative in coming up with new ones when necessary
- You understand the complexities and state-based interaction patterns of application design, and understand how to use motion to carry the user through an experience
- You have experience creating and evolving design systems and process
You’re a master of basic techniques of graphic design and can walk us through a portfolio that shows it.
- You structure visual elements as a way to satisfy the specific goals of well-defined users
- You use contrast, color, tone and proximity of elements to help users move through information, functionality and interactions
- You educate non-designers about how your design solutions address the user goals specific to the project, aligning your tactics with the product’s driving strategies
- You simplify the volume and interplay of visual elements, bringing clarity without sacrificing the power of visual design
You’re the brand master. You’ve applied advanced techniques of this skill and can walk us through a portfolio that shows it.
- You have experience working with national and global brands
- You’ve launched, revitalized and differentiated brands online
- You’ve worked with major consumer brands and know how to support/differentiate them in the digital space – experience with the hospitality industry not required, but a plus
- You’ve promoted a complete portfolio of brands
- You’ve balanced the needs of the brand and the needs of the user and recognize the impact of the brand experience on the user experience
Prototyping and Research
You’re a master of basic techniques of prototyping skills and can walk us through a portfolio that shows it. You’ve also been lead in numerous rounds of user research and intercepts.
- You are able to determine what prototyping tool is best for a specific product’s need at the time
- You can take a prototype through rapid iterations based on feedback from users, teammates and stakeholders
- You can prototype “live” during a team working session
- You understand common and emerging desktop web, tablet and mobile-based interaction patterns, and are capable of simulating them within a prototype
- You have skills in creating customer journey mapping, and have mapped out guest and associate pain points
- You are able to outline a research plan and matching prototype to map your questions and desired insights
You’re still mastering the basic techniques of information architecture, but you understand what’s involved, and can collaborate with others who have more experience in the skill.
You’re still mastering the basic techniques of this skill, but you understand what’s involved, and can collaborate with others who have more experience in the skill.
Our ideal candidate has at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Experience or Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Information Architecture, Library Sciences, Human Factors, Psychology, Anthropology, Branding or Marketing (or similar), or three or more years of equivalent experience in related field with proven track record, as well as skills in at least two of the following background areas:
You get that people are different. You’ve led the delivery of successful products and communications targeted to diverse, heterogeneous user groups with complex or competing needs based on race, national origin, religion, age, disability or gender expression. And you can walk us through a portfolio that shows it.
- You can articulate the distinguishing characteristics between segments of an audience in a way that is relevant for design activity to act upon
- You have observed differences in expectations, needs and behaviors that audiences from different cultural backgrounds express, and you are able to distinguish cultural stereotypes from truly distinct needs
- You have observed differences in expectations, needs and behaviors that individuals in different generational profiles express, and you are able to weed out stereotypical ageist assumptions/noise
- You have worked on products and communications serving niche audiences, and can articulate what attributes make such audiences unique
You’ve had extensive experience with and are a subject matter expert in loyalty retention, preferably the Marriott Rewards and/or Ritz Carlton Rewards programs. Also:
- You have experience with the branding and promotion of a loyalty program, including the acquisition and retention of members
- You understand the nuances of the various personas that are represented in a loyalty program and how to communicate to them
- You understand the difference in various loyalty program member expectations
- You have experience in multi-channel marketing
- You can recognize brand voice from a mile away
- You have a solid understanding of personalization and its roll in optimizing member communications
- You’re practiced at creating or overseeing concepts and/or recipes for testing and can translate findings into targeted communications
- You understand the challenges of global brands and have worked with localizing content in a cultural specific way
- You have contributed to creating and maintaining a proven brand voice, personality and standards that elevate the overall user experience
- You can apply your knowledge of loyalty programs to leverage promotions, offers and program features
You are an expert at creating digital experiences that communicate product benefits and attributes using all types of content (photography, copy, etc.) Also:
- You understand how to merchandise a product or service
- You can articulate the value of a product or property using whatever means of communication is available (visuals, text, interactive functionality, etc.)
- You elegantly and effectively manage the tension that comes from serving several distinct user types whose needs and goals conflict and overlap.