Senior Director, Digital Shopping Solutions
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18002D6B
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Digital channels are Marriott International’s largest consumer touch point, reaching over 450MM users a year and delivering of $18B in Gross Revenue. This Senior Director role will be highly organized, results-driven and focused on delivering tailored and relevant digital shopping experiences that allow guest-centric shopping solutions, across multiple digital platforms.
The person in this role will develop major product and feature enhancements to drive a modern travel shopping experience which includes:
- Research and leverage best in class e-commerce/retail experiences from across industries and understand emerging opportunities and apply them to the travel space
- Develop functionality to address under-served use cases, shopping functionality and search/discovery methodologies which drive commerce globally across our channels.
- Deliver solutions that take the friction and frustration out of trip planning while adding convenience and utility (e.g. trip planners, wishlists, itineraries); and finally
- Architect passive and active collection of shopping signals (e.g. trip intent, destination attributes) in order to execute deep anticipatory personalization of the travel product experience, throughout the travel journey from Desire through Stay and beyond.
The person in this role will conduct market research, seize opportunities, develop, execute, and measure shopping solution roadmap across Web, App and voice channels. Building cross-functional relationships and working collaboratively with talented Product, Design, Engineering, Brand/Design, Analytics, Marketing, & Operations teams across various countries and locations, to conceptualize, design, prioritize and deliver best-in-class customer experiences across all websites and devices to maximize traffic generation, repeat usage and conversion will be the main focus. This role will build great relationships with these partners to ensure that we build lean and scalable features with clear intent and at high velocity.
It will be key to demonstrate management skills and leadership through hard lines and dotted lines and foster a team spirit and a highly collaborative environment. This role must enable the cross-functional team to work efficiently to quickly prototype and seek customer feedback to validate ideas. Thriving in the creative process, deeply analytical, and moderately technical, to make difficult decisions based on data will be key skill sets.
- 12+ years of experience rising through the ranks of product management
- 10+ years with e-commerce consumer facing and/or backend platforms (with multi-million Unique Visitor scale)
- Consumer product experience with a history of driving projects that facilitate or enhance customer shopping experiences.
- Experience leading other product management directors and building teams of product professionals
- Expertise in developing a multi-year vision and accompanying product roadmap for multiple domains
- Strategic agility and the ability to envision and deliver highly effective cross-functional initiatives in complex, rapid growth areas with several executive-level business sponsors
- Excellent communication skills, especially executive-level communication and the ability to tell a compelling story
- Ability to see the strategic importance of optimizing the core shopping funnel, and identify opportunities to execute both large improvements as well as small tweaks with big results
- Ability to synthesize multiple sources of input (data, business stakeholders, client research, design) and arrive at high quality decision
- Deep intellectual curiosity and passion to solve core consumer problems
- Demonstrates self-confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
- Driven to hit deadlines and achieve goals
- Ability to solve problems quickly, think creatively, and satisfy Internet speed-to-market requirements.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, but within a large, complex business.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and execute roadmaps through multiple delivery teams
- College degree in Marketing, International Business, MBA or related field.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Grow the business
- Drive shopping, personalization and conversion strategies for the Marriott’s Digital Channels in measurable engagement, repeat usage and ultimately gross revenue and room night growth
- Lead the business case and guide the implementation of advanced shopping solution capabilities across channels
- Define and implement innovations that improve the customer shopping experience and revenue per visitor.
- Act as a key contributor and stakeholder in the requirements for larger enhancements to Marriott.com and Apps
- Serve as the Digital Commerce champion for cross-functional commerce initiatives.
Grow basket size
- Improve the existing ancillary products program in partnership with other Digital Commerce teams
- Identify opportunities to expand the portfolio of products offered and track results
- Monitor and optimize the selling experience to maximize revenue
- Define the business case and champion the implementation for new programs designed to maximize non-hotel revenue per visitor.
- Act as main stakeholder in technology implementation and site design projects
- Identify and manage agency partners and outsourced vendor solutions as necessary.
- Define, coordinate, and implement ecommerce strategies that drive incremental revenue, conversion, and room nights
- Work with UX leadership team to implement changes to the Web and App that apply research from behavioral science to the consumer shopping experience
- Co-develop product road maps with AGILE/iT teams to implement merchandising experiments as well as “always on” capabilities.
Mind the Store
- Analyze daily site performance
- Identify and regularly communicate key performance indicators (i.e. bounce rate, funnel conversion) for Marriott.co & Apps.
- Communication - Actively listens and uses appropriate communication styles to deliver information in an articulate, understandable, and engaging way. Influences others to accept a point of view, gain consensus, or take action. Keeps leaders informed about key issues. Models and coaches others on displaying a leadership style that conveys confidence and gains respect from others.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Models, coaches, and holds others accountable for leading ethically and with a high degree of integrity. Promotes a convincing and inspiring vision for the direction of the Company, brand, and team. Models and holds departments and project teams accountable for developing and implementing programs that reflect the Company’s core values.
- Managing Change - Presents the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment and action. Encourages others to identify ways to implement desired changes. Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations. Models flexibility and adjusts others’ and own priorities when managing multiple demands. Manages stakeholder expectations during change. Develops strategies and provides resources to implement change. Takes steps to minimize the stress others feel when change occurs.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and sets expectations for offering suggestions and solving complex problems. Uses data from different sources to evaluate alternatives, consider their potential impact, and make decisions. Involves key stakeholders to gain agreement and support before making high impact decisions. Makes key decisions and guides others to implement solutions in a reasonable amount of time.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Demonstrates a strong understanding of Company, brand, discipline, and program strategies. Uses data to thoroughly evaluate opportunities and focuses on those with the greatest potential business impact. Adapts global Company and brand strategies into plans that can be implemented within the business to maximize customer/stakeholder satisfaction and profitability. Uses data to build program strategies and make the business case for stakeholder commitment.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships – Shows an understanding of the needs of different customer/stakeholder segments and develops appropriate service strategies. Creates a service‐oriented environment and empowers others to build strong customer/stakeholder relationships. Monitors customer/stakeholder feedback and metrics to improve service delivery. Uses appropriate risk management resources when serious customer/stakeholder situations occur.
- Global Mindset - Creates and coaches others on promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included. Champions the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment. Ensures processes are in place to address concerns related to equity and fair treatment. Brings together people with diverse backgrounds to drive innovation and engagement. Establishes diverse partnerships across the industry, profession, and Company. Champions the attraction, development, and retention of a multicultural and multigenerational workforce. Ensures that all associates have the opportunity to achieve their full potential. Implements programs that promote inclusion and engagement. Ensures strategies are in place to promote inclusion, enhance engagement, and maximize business results.
- Strategic Partnerships – Builds strong working relationships across departments or teams. Models and coaches others on creating an open, trusting, and supportive work environment. Coaches others on how their behavior impacts coworkers and the work environment. Coaches direct reports to work together to set expectations for achieving shared goals.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Developing Others - Contributes to an environment that supports feedback and ongoing development. Coaches others by providing constructive feedback. Develops others by identifying needs and securing resources in area of expertise. Builds relationships to attract talent and actively recruits candidates with skills in high demand. Participates in the hiring process and ensures successful onboarding of new hires.
- Organizational Capability - Continuously improves the structures and processes of program area. Puts systems and processes in place to manage performance. Brings together the appropriate talent levels and mix of skill sets to drive innovation and performance. Establishes the scope of technical decision‐making authority. Uses meetings and other forums to regularly communicate status of work.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Continuous Learning - Creates an environment where learning is valued and encouraged. Models and sets expectations for others to evaluate own and others’ strengths and developmental needs. Secures resources and creates opportunities for self and others to improve performance through stretch assignments and other professional development activities. Models and coaches others on staying current on industry and discipline trends and holds others accountable for using relevant best practices. Establishes training requirements for the team and holds others accountable for meeting training goals.
- Technical Acumen – Expertly understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations, generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges, and function as a thought leader in his or her area of expertise.
- eCommerce, Mobile Applications, Information Technology, Product and Project Management.
- Business Acumen - Uses an understanding of market dynamics and the business environment to identify opportunities for improvement. Monitors industry and market changes and adjusts priorities as needed. Sets department or team standards and uses key business metrics to evaluate performance. Models and coaches others on making business decisions based on data from a variety of sources. Evaluates profit and loss statements, develops operating budgets, and conducts forecasting. Demonstrates sound business judgment in addressing resource needs and improving efficiencies while balancing associate, customer/stakeholder, and financial results.
- Strategic Knowledge - Maintains expert technical knowledge and skills and models their use for others. Models and promotes the appropriate use of facilities, equipment, and materials to perform the job. Models and coaches others on maintaining compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Builds partnerships across teams to solve complex issues and improve performance. Analyzes unique technical issues, systems, or problems that have broad impact. Recommends and coaches others on technical standards and processes to support work requirements. Generates and communicates the business case for applying innovative technical solutions that create value and/or mitigate risk.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.