Senior Manager, Internal Audit, Asia Pacific
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 180023D4
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Asia/Pacif/Australia Region, Hong Kong S.A.R., Hong Kong VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Internal Audit Department provides Marriott with a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance. Internal Audit assesses and reports on Marriott’s network of controls, governance, and business and financial risk management processes, using a risk-based audit strategy.
This Senior Manager role will be based in Hong Kong and will report to the Internal Audit Director based in Hong Kong. He/she will engage with multiple stakeholders including continent and corporate finance leadership and external stakeholders and will play a key role for ensuring that Marriott’s global controls, policies and procedures are maintained to the strictest standards. He/she must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, identifying opportunities, anticipating challenges, and devising and executing strategies to deliver against current and future Internal Audit priorities, thereby strengthening Marriott’s competitive advantage through excellence in effective risk assessment and internal controls.
This position will require global travel up to 70% and at times, on short notice
· University Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Finance or a related discipline.
· Member of a professional accountancy body (e.g. ACA, ACCA, CIMA), IIA, CPA or CISA strongly preferred.
· Project Management experience highly desirable.
· At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in corporate internal audit or public accounting firm strongly preferred.
· At least 5 years of experience managing and supervising audits, or having substantial responsibility for major aspects of an audit program preferably in a large, multinational publicly traded company or a public accounting firm.
· Experience of auditing in accordance with GAAS, IIA standards; enterprise risk management; Sarbanes Oxley; proficient understanding of GAAP; fraud and FCPA investigations.
· Excellent spoken and written English, fluent Mandarin and excellent written Chinese are essential. Additional language skills appropriate to the region is preferred.
· Lodging/ hospitality industry experience highly desirable.
· Strong relationship builder; experience working with outsourced partner(s) in a way that is seamless to the organization.
· Collaborative approach with global market teams and business partners.
· Exceptional organizational and project management skills. Effective in prioritizing work and following through on commitments.
· Operates with a collaborative mindset to ensure that key stakeholders are considered, eliminating the need for duplicate systems; builds strong relationships to leverage information and insights to anticipate and respond to project risks; communicates well with project team and other leaders.
· Strategic thinker; processes information through a strategic lens and applies tenets of systems thinking/theory to issues/assignments yielding the expected outcome or innovation.
· Demonstrates understanding of multiple functions, brands and businesses in order to respond more quickly and resourcefully to new demands and challenges.
· Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills; ability to take large volumes of complex data and/or information and present it in a clear and concise manner appropriate for management decision-making; uses data and a cogent problem solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment.
· Acute attention to detail.
· Strong and professional communications (verbal and written), organization and presentation skills (verbal and written). Knowledge of operating procedures, controls and governances.
· Excellent Excel and Powerpoint skills required.
· Effective decision-making skills, can choose a prompt course of action amongst options involving uncertainty or risk.
· Fast learner with a willing attitude. Resilience and a team player with a strong work ethic
· Manage above property audits, property audits and Sarbanes Oxley projects as scheduled, overseeing both internal and external resources.
· Develop audit/project objectives, plans, and scope consistent with the Department's charter, the assessment of risk and the needs and priorities communicated to and by the Audit Committee and business unit senior management
· Build and maintain an understanding of Marriott’s and the business unit’s operational, business and financial objectives and processes to develop and lead project risk assessment strategy and risk-based audit approach.
· Lead and/or supervise audits/projects to ensure all audit work is completed in accordance with Department policies and the professional standards, the adequacy of audit scope and testing performed, and the accuracy of conclusions reached.
· Draft or review audit reports to facilitate recommendations and ultimately corrective actions and best practices that are operationally practical, effective and efficient.
· Present findings and recommendations concerning activities audited to the Director of Internal Audit, senior management of the business units, Area and Continent Finance management.
· Assist in investigations, including detection, investigation and documentation of findings.
· Responsible for ensuring the integrity of Marriott's financial reporting and internal controls through the systemic monitoring of key performance measures and the auditing of critical processes leveraging data analytics techniques. Identify performance trends, and investigate and resolve any problems/ inconsistencies, as appropriate.
· Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with internal customers and third party service providers to ensure timely exchange of information with third party service providers to ensure customer satisfaction.
· Leverage the use of business performance management skills - able to deploy and manage (use data to systemically monitor the progress of work against schedules, quality standards) resources, to achieve/exceed objectives in a dynamic operating environment.
· Assist with the development and execution of the annual risk assessment plan.
· Coordinate with Director to prepare and manage publication of required reports, including quarterly reports for Continent and Corporate stakeholders.
· Coordinate with Director to oversee Asia Pacific team (internal and co-sourced resources) as to deployment of resources, mentoring of associates and overall department initiatives to ensure a positive work environment and a focus on obtaining goals and executing on the audit plan
· Serve as the continent Process Owner for the audit workpaper tool and any other software used by the department to increase the effectiveness of the audit process.
· Support Director to partner with the IT organization to facilitate development and delivery of information, tools, and resources that support Internal Audit’s efforts in ensuring a strong systems control environment. Utilize strong business performance management skills - able to deploy and manage (use data to systemically monitor the progress of work against schedules, budgets, and quality standards) resources, and to achieve/exceed objectives in a dynamic operating environment.
· Assist with the Compliance Risk and Internal Control Assessments; design, assess, enhance, implement and test compliance programs for internal controls.
· Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
· Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Financial Audit and Controls-The ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data, and create flow charts on main accounting and control cycles (A/R, AP, Cash) to facilitate understanding of key control points; including knowledge of and ensuring execution of local Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (local GAAP), Marriott International Policies (MIP), and International Standard Operating Procedures (ISOPs).
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.