Senior Director of Tax ASC 740
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 180022ML
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Senior Director, Global Tax Accounting & Reporting is responsible for Marriott’s worldwide global tax provision and SEC disclosures for income taxes. This position will be responsible for the critical consolidation processes and overall analytical review of global tax results and reporting. Thorough knowledge of ASC 740 and tax accounting aspects of all other U.S. GAAP guidance is required. Candidates must be adept at providing management with analysis that appropriately balances the detailed information with the need to focus on key drivers, trends, and impacts to the company and its stakeholders. In addition, candidates must be able to demonstrate skills and experience to drive innovation, including identifying and implementing technology, data and process improvements.
- Global consolidations and overall review of tax balances and tax provision (global tax rate and consolidation of global tax account balances). Ensure the company is in compliance with all tax-related U.S. GAAP and SEC filing requirements. Requires a strong working knowledge of ASC740 issues.
- Preparation and presentation of high-level analysis of results for Global Finance leadership.
- Manage/ prepare/ review analysis of global earnings, the need for U.S. income taxes for unremitted earnings of non-U.S. affiliates, and support for any non-U.S. earnings that are permanently reinvested
- Manage/ prepare/ review analysis of deferred taxes related to 2016 business combination including the tax accounting implications of subsequent transactions, changes to book balances, appropriates tax rates, impairments, etc. Oversee the development of processes and tools to adjust and manage these deferred tax balances based on ongoing business activities.
- Work directly with tax research & planning, financial accounting, and other groups to ensure that all transactions and business changes affecting global tax reporting are communicated with the tax accounting group and accurately reflected.
- Work with accounting policy and other stakeholders to identify imminent or anticipated changes in U.S. GAAP tax reporting, SEC disclosures, or other U.S. GAAP changes that will impact the reporting of global income taxes.
- Work closely with finance associates to prepare forecasts of the tax rate and cash taxes.
- Identify, develop, and direct the implementation of technology tools and process improvements to reduce low-value data collection time and efforts, and increase resource focus on analysis of results and variances.
- Direct the effort to re-engineer processes and document procedures.
- Direct efforts to prepare, maintain, and improve documentation to support reporting functions performed by the tax department.
- Minimum 12 years of progressive, supervisory experience in U.S. GAAP financial accounting for income taxes including identifying, designing and implementing technology and process changes that result in demonstrated improvements in the global tax accounting function
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in a management role; demonstrated success leading and developing others in a complex, service-intensive, deadline-driven environment.
- History of consistently delivering business results.
- Strong business acumen and service orientation.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills with proven understanding of economic valuation theories and processes technical corporate finance concepts (NPV, IRR, cost of capital); ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner appropriate for senior management decision-making; uses data and a cogent problem solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment.
- Strong accounting skills, particularly in analyzing financial statements.
- Strong spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing; listens to others and effectively comprehends information; creates an environment allowing timely information flows throughout the organization.
- Responsive; ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Results oriented; delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure. Ability to assess, plan and get “the right priorities” done, on time and budget, at high quality levels; ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to consistently make decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
- Solid leader of people; ability to translate business priorities into actionable goals and objectives for staff; ability to motivate and develop staff.
- Ability to sell ideas persuasively; settles differences and wins concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic.
- Operates with a collaborative mindset to ensure that key stakeholders are considered, eliminating the need for duplicate systems; builds strong relationships to leverage information and insights to anticipate and respond to project risks; communicates well with project and other leaders; openly shares and does not withhold information.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or similar business concentration
- MBA, Master in Taxation or Master in Accounting degree strongly preferred
- CPA required
- This position will be based at MI Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, MD.