Senior Director Payroll
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 180021UP
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott Business Services, Louisville, Tennessee VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Project Catapult is the next step in fulfilling Marriott’s vision of a single integrated Workforce Management Platform and includes the implementation of cloud-based Human Capital Management (HCM) and payroll applications, as well as the replacement of the US based Payroll system. Project Catapult will be implemented in 2020 and will include Payroll for US and UK initially.
As a member of the Project Catapult leadership team, the Payroll Business Lead will drive the re-engineering efforts of the payroll process over a multi-year project cycle. She/he will be a key contributor in refining the framework of Marriott International’s Payroll system as well as transitioning the company to a single HCM/Payroll environment. She/he will work to design, develop, test and implement a cloud-based Payroll application for the US population and to retire the existing mainframe payroll system. She/he will guide the efforts to:
- Design the applicable business processes for the end to end payroll solution
- Enhance functionality to include compliance initiatives and enhance the user experience
- Ensure that existing business processes/functionality in Marrpay are accommodated
- Align the accounting code block with the existing GL structure
- Implement the new global Payroll for all above property, off property and hotel operations
The Payroll Business Lead must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, identifying opportunities, anticipating challenges, and devising and executing breakthrough strategies to deliver against current and future Global Finance system priorities, thereby strengthening Marriott’s competitive advantage through excellence in payroll services delivery. She/he will lead a professional project work team in efforts to develop and implement appropriate payroll transactional tools and processes across Marriott, in alignment with the broader framework of the enterprise, and in collaboration with other key stakeholder groups.
- Working collaboratively with key stakeholders and subject matter experts, lead position and discovery of topical content related to the payroll business processes with a focus on compliance initiatives.
- Following prescribed systems integration methodology, lead efforts to design, develop, test and implement a US Payroll application.
- Lead integration efforts with all Payroll feeder systems so alignment with the new business processes can be accomplished concurrently with the retirement of Marrpay.
- Ensure adequate documentation of project and deliverables is developed and maintained.
- Identify change management activities and collaborate with HR change team for items related to Payroll including but not limited to stakeholder alignment, training, communications and support.
- Upon implementation and stabilization of the model, ensure adequate knowledge transfer and transition of long term ownership occurs.
- Control appropriate expenses and maximize returns on investments to Marriott and key stakeholders.
- Deploy appropriate tactics to develop and implement required Business Processes that support the major change initiatives associated with the new global Payroll and Reporting tools; do so on time and on budget in accordance with the approved business case.
- Oversee assigned project work, as well as the specific administration activities associated with operating the team (project planning, reporting, budgeting, etc.)
- Ensure appropriate metrics are in place to manage business risks and improve decision making; ensure strong operational control environment to safeguard Marriott International and improve operations.
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the Leadership Performance Acceleration (LPA) process and holds staff accountable for successful performance; coaches team by providing specific feedback to improve performance; conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports; and ensures the same occurs at lower levels of his/her organization. Partner with Human Resources to strengthen the organization performance by ensuring effective structures, processes, jobs, and tools are in place for associates to do their jobs effectively.
- Champion excellence in business ethics and integrity, social responsibility, cross-cultural effectiveness, and associate engagement.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Minimum 10 years broad payroll experience in a global organization with increasing management responsibility.
- Minimum 7 years in a management role; demonstrated success leading and developing a strong team in a complex, service-intensive, deadline-driven environment.
- Minimum 5 years project management experience; demonstrated success in leading business process transformation projects.
- Broad knowledge of hotel payroll processes and systems; Experience in a system support role for HR/Payroll is preferred.
- Lodging/hospitality experience strongly preferred.
- History of consistently delivering business results.
- Understands, embraces and manages to project planning and execution methodology, including the associated tools, work plan schedules, issue resolution tracking, and status review updates.
- Strategic thinker; processes information through a strategic lens and applies tenants of systems thinking/theory and to issues/assignments
- Innovative thinker and agile learner; able to readily apply past learnings in new situations to generate solutions to MI challenges and/or create something entirely new
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders in order to foster trust and influence key decisions.
- Exceptional communication skills; creates an atmosphere in which timely information flows smoothly through the organization.
- Able to work in a matrix organization and make things happen without having to own all the resources; leverages shared resources to achieve results.
- Strong service orientation.
- Comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
- Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Strong business performance management abilities– effectively deploys and manages resources, monitoring the progress of work against schedules, budgets, quality standards, and achieving/exceeding planned economic benefits in a dynamic operating environment
- Steps forward to address difficult issues; strong mediation skills to facilitate a constructive approach to dealing with conflict; guides others toward the accomplishment of identified, meaningful goals.
- Active learner -- able to enhance personal, professional and business growth through new knowledge and experiences; pushes the organization to learn from other industries’ standards and practices.
- Trustworthy with strong business integrity and ability to hold sensitive information in confidence.
- Baccalaureate degree in Accounting, Finance, Information Systems or related discipline preferred.
- There are no specific requirements for position location.