Systems Engineer - Global Property Networks
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18001VY7
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The candidate will be immersed in the elements of network architecture, solution development, design, engineering, integration, operation, and escalation support of network services. S/he will work with architecture, engineering, security, operational and application experts to develop, implement and maintain services, monitoring, reporting, tuning and new automation functionalities for comprehensive solutions that meet and/or exceed Marriott’s Property requirements. S/he will provide architecture & engineering support and request fulfillment associated with Marriott’s Property network infrastructure and input into standards. Primary functions include analysis, design, engineering and implementation of Marriott Property network infrastructure, establish Network architecture design to related systems to meet current and future business requirements. They will provide guidance to Service Providers to modify and maintain existing Property Architecture & Engineering, new builds, troubleshooting network issues, completion of project requests, oversee lifecycle management, capacity, health and performance management, continuous service improvement, business and technical analyses, reporting and project management. S/he will support Marriott’s Property infrastructure LAN/WAN connectivity design, security, wireless, remote access, load balancing, and cloud connectivity, SDN, SDDC, above property hybrid cloud environments and work efficiently with our technology providers as well as other third-party engineering, application, and operations teams.
- Undergraduate degree in an engineering or computer science discipline and/or equivalent experience/certification
- 5+ years’ experience in information technology with 3+ years of experience in a network architecture or engineering role
- 2+ years of experience administrating and supporting complex LAN/WAN networks.
- Knowledge of Cisco ISR and ASR platforms (ISR 8xx, 11xx, 44xx, ASR 100x), DMVPN, IPSec, GRE, DNS, BGP, and OSPF
- Experience documenting architectural standards, policies and engineering designs.
- Experience delivering technology solutions in a fast-paced, deadline driven enterprise environment
- History of learning and applying new technologies to solve business needs
- Excellent problem-solving skills working independently and through leading outcomes for cross functional teams
- Understanding of change management, testing requirements, techniques, and tools to ensure high availability of platforms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences including executives, business stakeholders and IT teams
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to operate effectively across multiple priorities
- Ability to perform independently as a member of a team and through cross functional initiatives
- Ability to work during non-business hours as needed and on-call rotations
- 2+ years’ experience supporting highly available complex networks at a global enterprise scale
- 1+ Experience with network architecture design and engineering
- Knowledge of Software Defined Network development and public cloud
- One of more Technical Certifications from Cisco, AWS, Checkpoint, VMWare
- Experience in Network Management Tools such as NetQos, AppNeta, SolarWinds, NetMRI, and InfoBlox IPAM
- Experience with troubleshooting tools including Wireshark, Netflow, tcpdump, and NetScout.
- Experience in IT project management
- Knowledge of programming and scripting programming languages (Example: bash, Perl, pHp, Python, etc.)
- Knowledge of virtualization and container technologies (Example: VMWare, Docker, OSE)
- Proficiency in Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Provides support, oversight, governance and tactical direction related to the network infrastructure services that are required to enable the delivery of IT services to Marriott’s property networks.
- When called upon provides input to the overall architecture, operational governance model
- Participates in researching, designing, and implementing components that are standards based, high performing, highly available, and secure in delivering the required business functionality
- Educates internal and external users on the technologies to continually improve the knowledge and skill-base of the organization on how to operate and support the technology services
- Participates in the evaluation and selection of service products
- Supports analysis of the current environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommends solutions for improvement
- Utilizes capability modeling to align systems strategy and planning with business strategy and goals
- Consults with project teams to identify when it is necessary to modify services to accommodate project needs
- Supports, implements and promotes standard configuration and change management, processes and practices
- Develop test plans, implementation plans, and project timelines for assigned projects
- Performs quantitative and qualitative analyses for service delivery processes and projects.
- Supports existing systems and projects in a minimum of one environment.
- Reviews completeness of requirements prior to Service Provider solutioning
- Participates with the Service Provider in planning and coordinating implementation, reviewing quality control of systems functional design, usability, functionality, and implementation.
- Provides input to support desk change management efforts as it relates to support and training of new system
- Coordinates with appropriate IT and vendor relations teams
- Ensures early warning to the leadership regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Follows all defined IR standards and processes (i.e. IT Governance, SM&G, Architecture, etc.), and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
- Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
- Follows the defined project management standards and processes
- Validates that Service Providers develop and manage respective aspects of a project plan, including schedules, deliverables, and appropriate metrics.
- Provides input to plans to effectively utilize resources
- Monitors Service Provider outcomes
- Provides estimates of work effort for client project provided by Service Providers for accuracy
- Facilitates timely resolution of service delivery problems and minimizes the impact to clients
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.