Senior Director Culinary, Europe
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18001LAH
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Europe Office - Eschborn, Eschborn-Frankfurt, Hessen VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Senior Director Culinary, Europe is responsible to ensure locally and brand appropriate “pull through” of culinary programs, processes, and initiatives for the European continent. Specific areas of focus include operations troubleshooting, working effectively with property management teams, technical training, quality assurance oversight, improving current programs based on analysis, providing expertise for pre-openings and hotel conversions, and translating culinary concepts into creative realities. This position will be a key member of the Food & Beverage Operations Pool for the European continent.
The Senior Director Culinary, Europe provides support / is responsible for (e.g. number of different properties, total number of rooms)
· Location requirements: The Senior Director Culinary, Europe to be located at the Europe Office Eschborn.
· Language Requirements: High proficiency (speaking, reading and writing) in English is required.
· Travel Requirements: There is a 75 % business travel required.
· Food & Beverage Leadership
· Provide leadership to hotel management teams to successfully implement culinary initiatives and programs; Assist hotels in improving food product and presentation
· Provide input on concept development and kitchen design for all brands
· Ensure all hotels operate with respect to European continent and corporate culinary programs
· Monitor overall performance of culinary operations and provide action planning as needed; Coordinate task force as needed
· Communicate creative, quality, and financial culinary expectations to properties
· Ensure property teams are fully fluent in all food safety procedures and direct certification classes to meet the needs of the European continent; Ensure food safety is integrated into new and existing menu development
· Assist in the development and coordination of outside licensing and franchise relationships
· Ensure consistency in messages (written, visual, audio) that are generated for products/services and ensure that those messages support Marriott International’s culinary strategies; Use technology effectively to communicate and influence in a timely, high-impact manner; Coordinate Culinary communications with Restaurant & Bars and Events communications
· Prepares presentations regarding culinary brand concepts
· Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs
· Be a leader in the transition to Marriott’s continent based global organization, a multi-year strategy to better position the company to compete globally and more nimbly take advantage of growing opportunities.
· Financial and Accounting Management
· Use empirical data and appropriate software to analyze culinary trends to position the organization to take advantage of business improvements and/or profitable opportunities
· Balanced Scorecard Results: Develops strategies and executes activities to drive financial results, guest satisfaction, human capital index and market share.
· Drive revenue and improve profitability of Culinary operations
· Enhance products and services appropriately for all brands to build customer loyalty
· Recruit and develop talent; Drive associate satisfaction
· Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the lodging business (hotel operation, industry drivers, challenges, competitors, MI’s position in the global marketplace) and cutting edge Culinary trends to unveil opportunities for growth
· Talent Management
· Ensure continual development of diverse, high-caliber talent which makes a strong positive impact on the organization; Keep in contact with all Executive Chefs on a regular basis to develop a work force list for culinary management positions
· Develop and facilitate culinary training (including innovative food presentations and new approaches) for Executive Chefs in the European continent
· Provide Culinary expertise and train culinary specialists for more than ten anticipated hotel openings
· Owner Relations
· Acts as a liaison and expert resource for owners and franchisees
· Assist property management with maintaining culinary concept documentation (e.g. training materials, system standards) to ensure concept integrity and significantly improve guest experience, revenues and profits
· Provide input to the Corporate Center of Expertise to ensure global strategies meet the needs of the European continent (e.g. customer preference, menu analysis) and pull through new programs/products/services to ensure successful local implementation
· Understand what is important to each of more than 70 owners and be sensitive to their backgrounds
· Develop strategic professional relationships with culinary product and service vendors
· Complies with Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures.
CANDIDATE PROFILE - KEY TALENTS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
· At least 7 years experience as an Executive Chef
· At least 7 years progressively responsible work experience in Culinary Operations (including experience as a culinary department leader managing a culturally diverse workforce)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
· Experience with all aspects of foods, food preparation techniques, and food presentation
· Proven experience understanding multi brand standards
· Proven expertise in hands-on openings of hotels preferred
· Financial management skills (e.g. ability to analyze P&L statements, develop operating budgets, prepare a short and long term forecast, and champion capital expenditure planning)
· Ability to analyze and react to trends across multiple hospitality disciplines
· Knowledge of purchasing, inventory controls, supplies and equipment
· Ability to read and interpret blueprints and floor plans
· Ability to respond to complex or ambiguous situations without losing focus of key Culinary objectives
· Excellent verbal communication, written communication, analytical, problem-solving, and presentation skills
· Strategic planning ability to translate financial concepts into actionable business strategies and tactics
· Ability to discern color, taste, and texture
· Excellent project and change management skills
· Strong interpersonal skills with multiple stakeholders (e.g. customers, owners, peers, associates, vendors, corporate)
· Effective influence, negotiation, conflict management, and consensus building skills
· Excellent presentation skills
· Ability to train (e.g. new programs/products/services, skill gaps on action plans)
· Effective decision making skills
· Ability to use standard software applications and hotel systems
· Strong understanding of interrelationship with related departments such as food and beverage and event management
· Knowledge of workforce analysis and labor productivity
· Knowledge of governmental regulations and safety standards including all Marriott standards
Education and Professional Certification:
· College degree in Hotel Management, Hospitality Management, or Culinary Science or Graduation from a Culinary Apprenticeship System or a Technical Culinary School or Equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is required
· Culinary society certification preferred
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.