The role of the Director, Global Sales, Mumbai is to maintain effective financial performance by ensuring that profitable sales are generated and operational controls are in place within a sales engine of the Global Sales Organization (GSO).
The position provides leadership and management oversight to sales professionals whose activities are specifically focused on area(s) such as a business segment, unique revenue stream, customized client support or specific geographic area. Considered a specialist in each functional area, this position provides direction and support to the sales team in the implementation of sales strategies to achieve assigned revenue targets.
The role of the Director, Global Sales, Mumbai is to support the GSO vision and mission by providing business support and operational excellence to a team of GSO Sales Professionals. In addition, the position directs and leverages Marriott resources to support the achievement of revenue targets and financial performance. This position is also responsible for leading and directing a specific sales team in the processes of strategic account management and team-based sales.
Specific areas of responsibility include: 1).Direct accountability for transactional sales activities within their assigned accounts 2) To attract, recruit, retain, develop and lead a world-class sales force, 3) to conduct (ongoing) in-depth market analysis in order to “size” true market potential and the optimal sales deployment plan, 4) to establish, manage and communicate overall segment strategies that are in alignment with Marriott’s overall Sales and Marketing strategic priorities, 5) to understand the appropriate/desired mix of business for those Marriott brands and hotels that benefit from India and surrounding key source markets 6) develop and execute segment-specific value propositions, 7) to own the return on invested capital (ROIC) for targeted business segments, and, 8) to liaise with relevant cross-discipline resources, e.g. EST, GSO, Market and Property-based sales, Marketing, Revenue Management, etc., to ensure pull-through of segment strategies for new and existing accounts.
Strategic Account Management
- Act as customer advocate by understanding GSO customer’s requirements, expectations and needs; removes barriers to business solution development.
- Develops relationships with outside vendors and strategic partners to expand exposure of Marriott brands to internal and external customers.
- Pursues opportunities to capitalize on strengths and market conditions, and to counter competitive threats.
- Stays abreast of developments in the areas of Strategic Account Management and Team-Based Sales in order to provide relevant direction.
- Determines ROI on sales opportunities.
- Assists GSO Leadership in developing overall business strategies for the department; reviews and manages controllable expenses as appropriate.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of legal issues within industry.
- Directs regular reporting activities associated with account tracking, spending data, department revenue, profitability analysis, etc.
- Ensures effective measurements of process and outcomes of business and account plans.
- Oversees the use and maintenance of internal systems.
- Positioned as the Subject Matter Expert in matters related to the specific area of expertise.
- Prepares for and facilitates productive meetings.
- Responsible for facilities/office management as needed.
- Supports operating budgets and sales targets to support the GSO business plan.
- Works with Revenue Management and other Functional Areas to assist in the development of business segment, revenue stream and/or geographical area sales strategies.
- Acts as project manager for ad hoc or recurring needs of the department, responsible for satisfactory and timely delivery of outcome.
- Demonstrates a solid, working knowledge of the functional area business’, and leveraging this to provide maximum profitability for Marriott.
- Establishes guidelines for, measures, monitors and evaluates Marriott and GSO processes, policies and procedures.
- Orchestrates departmental resources across organizational boundaries to create cross-functional business-to-business relationships.
- Positioned as a knowledge provider in matters of industry and business to their clients and their internal constituents.
- Supports accomplishment of department and its account initiatives through active participation in issue resolution.
Market Integration & Leadership
- Assists people from diverse cultures and backgrounds to effectively contribute and succeed in the GSO and its cross-functional teams.
- Develops strong working relationships to maximize Marriott benefits, advising on issues relative to customer/segment/geographical needs and proactively developing strategies that complement market-based initiatives.
- Establishes and maintains an active role within industry organizations.
- Maintains an influential presence among customers and internal constituents by providing education and training to both audiences across a wide range of relevant industry, business and/or geographical interests.
- Provides effective orientation and training on GSO for new market/field associates.
- Supports Marriott culture based on shared values of associate and customer satisfaction.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of associates.
- Ensures regular on-going communication is happening in all areas of responsibility to create awareness of business objectives, communicate expectations, recognize performance and produce desired business results.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with associates and ensures associates do the same within the team.
- Interviews and hires management, hourly and/or GSA/GSR associates with the appropriate skills to meet the business needs of the GSO.
- Models desired behavior through participation in client-Marriott activity (e.g., sales calls and customer events).
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the appropriate performance process and holds staff accountable for successful performance; coaches by providing specific feedback to improve performance. Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Uses all available on the job training tools for associates; implements and manages training initiatives and conducts training when appropriate; ensures self and direct report managers attend appropriate core training classes