Director, Strategy and Portfolio Management, Classic Select Operations
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18001DN4
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
- Partner with Classic Select Brand and Segment Leadership to develop, execute, and deliver on key operational initiatives that support brand and cross-brand priorities (e.g., Classic Select Shaping Service, CY Market, Classic Select Meetings)
- Support the Classic Select Segment with workflow and execution tasks in conjunction with Brand leadership
- Oversee implementation of operational initiatives that bring Classic Select Brand proof points to life on property
Education and Experience
- • 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, or related major; 5-8 years of solid program/project management experience, or related professional area • 5-8 years of program/project management, strategy development, brand management or operational experience Preferred
- • Graduate / advanced degree (e.g. MBA)
- • Major consulting firm experience
- • Lodging industry experience
- • Experience in international business environment
- • Expertise and proven track record in managing complex, multifunctional initiatives
- • Experience in providing direction and performing responsibilities via influence ability (as opposed to line management authority)
- • Proven success in introducing major change to complex organizations
- • Exceptional project/program management competence and skills
- • Ability to distribute, assign and ensure completion of work throughout various teams without direct management authority
- • Ability to quickly gain a clear and comprehensive understanding of Global Operations and Brand Management strategies, priorities and initiatives and represent them to various constituencies across the organization
- • Ability to develop and enforce program governance
- • Ability to enlist and motivate individuals and secure resources without direct authority
- • Ability to form and foster high performing teams
- • Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- • Experience using MS Excel, PowerPoint and other Office tools
- • Ability to develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships with team members, internal stakeholders and external constituents
- • Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to articulate a compelling vision
- • Gathers and organizes information into a logical and systematic process
- • Broad business view; sharp business acumen and financial savvy
- • Direct and manage one or multiple projects through project management lifecycle
- • Create and execute detailed project plans
- • Execute project governance to manage issues escalation and project prioritization
- • Ensure deliverables can be implemented and sustained in the market
- • Direct cross-functional teams with internal and/or external staff
- • Serve as the primary point of contact for assigned initiatives
- • Support change management and deployment planning in partnership with change management and deployment team
- • Partner with other key Disciplines in development of major design efforts (e.g., CY Market, Four Points F&B)
- Provide necessary transparency for leadership to successfully manage problems and make informed decisions • Manage vendor relationships regarding project deliverable needs, contractual obligations, and general scope of work
- Monitor and communicate results on an ongoing basis against pre-determined metrics
- Recommend course-correction or cancellation of priorities that are unable to meet intended results and stated goals/objectives
- Identify ambiguous requests and facilitate collaboration amongst leadership, Business Sponsors and other impacted stakeholders to define strategy and scope
- Track and review progress on all initiatives with Classic Select Brands, managing timelines, activities, and deliverables across the portfolio of work, ensuring appropriate delivery of work
- Partner with Continent teams to identify and enable POCs in each Continent, enabling rapid prototyping and speed-to-market
- Convert successful tests into full-scale operational initiatives that are easy for hotels to execute correctly and which have clear success measures
- Provide ongoing guidance and documentation to the Continent Lodging teams to enable optimal execution
- This position interfaces with multiple members of the Classic Select Operations team to ensure successful progress on key initiatives. Exceptional relationship management skills are fundamental, given that this role supports the segment as a strategic interface with the Brand organization and the Continents.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action. • • Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen – Expertly understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations, generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges, and function as a thought leader in his or her area of expertise.
- Operations Execution-The ability to systemically implement, evaluate, and sustain operations programs to ensure that the products and services being executed deliver the intended benefits, create value, contribute to guest satisfaction, and meet the needs of the various stakeholders (guests, property staff, brand, CLS, etc.)
- Performance Monitoring-The ability to use available performance metrics to measure the effectiveness of the various operations disciplines, diagnose issues and make recommendations at the property, market, and/or brand-level.
- Project Management-The ability to use a defined process to create and manage a project; this includes defining and achieving success within constraints of scope, time, resources and budget.
- Project Risk Management-The ability to proactively identify and quantify risks to project success and follow-up with appropriate action to mitigate risk.
- Project Business Planning-The ability to facilitate project planning, approval and funding decisions using a defined process; this includes determining resource needs and work allocation.
- Project Financial Management-The ability to determine and manage project financial issues; this includes developing and maintaining the project business case and managing the project to a budget.
- Project Management Software-The ability to use computer software (e.g. Project, Excel, PowerPoint) to organize, coordinate and present project information.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges. •
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences. o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.