Dir-IT Application Development (Release Train Engineer)
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 180016MB
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Functions as the chief Scrum Master for a release train to ensure execution and optimization across an Agile Release Train (ART) and to deliver value against a shared set of business objectives. Mentors, coaches and advises scrum masters that operate within mulitple Release Trains where expected scope is generally in excess of $5M and up to $10M annually. Guides and facilitates software teams through development and delivery, and guides the transition and maturity of Marriott’s SAFe implementation.
The RTE will also play a pivotal role at the program team level (Product Management, Product UX, Enterprise Architect, and Release Management) to ensure features are prioritized for the quarterly planning cycles. Assists the ART in communication and coordination with stakeholders and customers during feature definition and delivery. Drives the ART in resolving or reporting escalated issues involving risk, or dependency management that may be hindering the team’s ability to deliver features.
Promotes project quality and manages the application delivery team to promote client satisfaction with all technology teams and business partners by following standard application development tools and processes. Manages continuous improvement program to improve quality, consistency, and client satisfaction.
Education and Experience
- 10+ years of application development experience
- 7+ years’ experience in information technology project management across diverse application areas and technologies with
- Scrum and Kanban experience
- Experience with scaling Lean/Agile practices that confirm candidate’s understanding and ability to manage the unique opportunities and challenges associated with facilitating and continuously aligning a large development program.
- 4+ years’ experience in leading project teams and implementing enterprise application packages in distributed environments
- Must have facilitated a minimum of 2+SAFe program increments at scale
- Must be SAFe Certified
- Undergraduate degree, equivalent experience, or certification Five year’s recent experience with architectural frameworks and the various approaches to the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Management of large, complex budgets that include direct and indirect costs
- Management of cross functional, sourced, or matrixed teams
- Graduate degree
- Project Management Certification, Certified ScrumMaster, Certified Product Owner, or Certified Scrum Professional with active experience in serving in this capacity
- Experience working in highly-complex and fast-paced environments
- 5+ years Agile Team Participation
- 3+ years Agile Coaching Experience
- Atlassian (JIRA/Confluence) experience
- Ability to speak in front of large audiences and facilitate large, multi-day ceremonies
- Demonstrated record of managing internal, external, and offshore projects from inception to successful implementation
- Solid understanding of current technologies with the ability to develop and deliver projects using leading edge technologies
- Ability to champion and ensure accurate and timely estimation to help track metrics, including but not limited to capacity, velocity and burndown.
- Skilled in conceptualizing creative solutions, documenting them, and presenting/selling them to senior management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Extremely high level of analytical ability to measure the velocity, capacity, and value of teams’ contributions.
- Very high level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate employees, and elicit work output in a team environment
- Responsible for steering contributors through all the necessary ART ceremonies including program increment planning, demos, reviews.
- Drives the ART to continuously improve through the facilitation of ART Retrospectives quarterly, or more often as needed, to improve backlog management, release train reviews, sprint reviews, or release train coordination and higher-level functions.
- Supports the work of agile teams within the ART, including ScrumMasters on a sprint-by-sprint basis
- Identifies resource gaps across the teams and ART and facilitates the closure of those gaps through portfolio leaders
- Functions as escalation to agile teams to resolve issues
- Maintains agile tools and dashboards to track stories, defects, and progress toward commitments
- Performs Information Technology (IT) project planning, including identifying and developing goals, strategy, staffing, scheduling, identifications of risks, contingency plans, allocation of available resources, and deliverables to meet business need
- Serves as liaison with discipline partners, IT Plan and IT Delivery teams
- Provides inputs to cost estimates for a feature or project to determine whether the feature or project is justified
- Identifies, documents and schedules program increment deliverables, milestones, and required tasks that support a feature or project
- Directs and coordinates activities of ScrumMasters to monitor feature(s) and project(s) so that they progress on schedule and within budget
- Establishes standards and procedures for sprint, feature, and project reporting and documentation
- Reviews status reports prepared by project personnel and modifies commitments and plans as required
- Informs the appropriate team members of feature or project status and related issues and impediments and escalates appropriately
- Interfaces with vendor(s) for programs under direct control
- Provides inputs to value stream roadmaps and business cases
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Application Development Standards, Processes, and Tools
- Works with direct reports to facilitate consistency of service delivery across client groups
- Facilitates compliance with the standard set of application development tools and processes that will drive consistency and predictability throughout the SDLC for all client groups including:
- SDLC standard tools and processes for both waterfall and agile development
- Estimating standard tools and processes, incorporating flexibility for small and large projects
- Deployment standard tools and processes
- Monitors projects for adherence to defined application development processes
- Communicates to Application Development leaders opportunities to create broader IT related and corporate standards and policies where necessary
- Communicates important application development policy changes that affect service provider and/or Marriott operations
- Manages application development projects in partnership with IT teams, business partners and providers
- Provides project management of business projects
- Oversees effective reporting within application development team
- Leads project reviews with team on application development projects
- Manages day-to day relationships with all IT teams to promote the delivery of services that meet or exceed the client expectations
- Monitors projects for alignment with defined business case process
- Drives timely resolution of escalated service delivery problems and minimizes the impact of any client service delivery issues
- Manages, and improves service level reporting for application development
- Provides early warning to the appropriate Business Partnership & Planning leaders and team regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Assists with application, development and maintenance of service provider project management standards and tools
- Participates in client portfolio and demand management processes, and engages service providers to ensure client satisfaction
- Works with application development service providers
- Validates the service provider(s) performs the services agreed to by the master services agreement in a manner that is consistent with both the spirit and the letter of the agreement
- Works with team to progress the service providers services to match client needs
- Facilitates team and service provider compliance with the agreement
- Validates service levels meet business needs
- Facilitates the definition and enforcement of good service provider contracts
- Supports the IT organization
- Provides input to IT’s business strategy and planning as needed
- Supports and follows defined IT Governance decision rights, standards and practices
- Emphasizes accuracy and effectiveness of estimating and planning management with team
- Provides input to business/discipline and continent IT budgets
Implementing and Managing Continuous Improvement Program
- Drives adoption of CMMi or similar metrics to demonstrate continuous improvement and alignment with the industry
- Demonstrates continuous improvement through metrics of quality consistency and client satisfaction
- Works with application development service providers, IT teams, and business partners to implement continuous improvement activities
- Responds to issues identified in project surveys or other feedback processes, to continually improve client satisfaction
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Developing Others - Plans and supports the development of others’ skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively; provides high visibility to individuals with potential; offers challenging assignments that build confidence and credibility and provides such individuals with a personal vision for their future.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Technical Intelligence: knowledge and ability to identify technological opportunities and threats that could affect the future growth and survival of the business.
- Technology Life Cycle: knowledge of the Life Cycle of technologies and how applications, infrastructure, and processes relate to these timelines.
- IT Systems: Knowledge of IT systems supporting the business including benefits, requirements, costs, justification, and operations.
- IT Resources: The ability to secure and manage IT resources to achieve business objectives (e.g., contracts, vendor relationships, financial accountability, portfolio management, information and resource planning) and measure project impact.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Strategy Knowledge - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific strategic work challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.