Area Director of Operations, Middle East & Africa
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 1800123O
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location Dubai Area Office, Dubai, United Arab Emirates VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Functions as the strategic business leader and is responsible for the oversight of Rooms, Food & Beverage Operations and Quality Assurance for all assigned area hotel brands and franchises. A key responsibility is to ensure “pull through” of programs, processes, and initiatives at the property level. Specific areas of focus include operations troubleshooting, working effectively with property management teams, technical training, International Quality Assurance Program, pre-opening, hotel conversions, rooms division, spa, and recreation and working with the Senior Director of F&B Concept Development to develop effective R&B outlets for the properties that fall directly under the influence of the Senior Director. Additional responsibilities include the development of OS&E lists specific to each concept, development of a concept strategy based on brand and type of market and to work closely with the development team to sell our Food & Beverage concept strategy. Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new plans or programs. Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for performance goals.
BUSINESS CONTEXT / CANDIDATE
Education and Experience
• 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 8 years’ experience in guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional areas.
• 2-year graduate degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; no work experience required.
• Minimum 3-5 years’ experience with a demonstrated ability to work in a large international food and beverage organization and hotel rooms environment.
• Strong presentation and public speaking skills, exceptional project management and organizational ability with effective influencing and negotiation skills.
• Negotiating and deal-structuring skills (ability to influence and interface with outside contracts, primarily owners and owner reps).
• Demonstrated understanding and use of market research and market trend information.
• Able to travel up to 50% of working time.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
• Food & Beverage and Rooms Operations – assists hotel teams with the successful implementation of all initiatives and programs.
• Food and Beverage Concepts – assists hotel teams with execution of restaurant/bar concept documentation to ensure concept integrity and to significantly improve guest experience, revenues, and profits.
• Reviews and comments on new property blue prints for operational efficiency and effective design.
• Ensures hotels operate in alignment with their brand.
• New openings/conversions – assists in coordinating pre-opening, task force, 5SU, and operations technical training related to new concepts.
• Coordinates task forces as needed for to assist in new openings and challenged properties.
• Responds to complex or ambiguous situations without losing focus of key hotel objectives.
• Partners with AVP and VP of Operations to consistently recognize and reward outstanding associate performance in improving area’s hotels’ performance and/or customer satisfaction.
• Ensures that best practice pool is alive and that best practices are shared through a proactive and consistent channel of communication.
• Improves business results by leveraging shared resources and processes, and implement revenue driving initiatives and best practices for restaurant and bar areas.
• Effectively uses technology to communicate and influence throughout the organization in a timely, high-impact manner.
• Attracts and develops diverse, high-caliber talent that makes a strong positive impact on the organization. Maintains oversight of manpower selection for operations leaders
• Looks outside of Marriott to identify and implement innovations that improve business performance.
• Manages larger business processes and/or projects, setting priorities and measurable objectives, and monitoring and reporting on the process, progress and results.
• Responds to, solves, and makes decisions on business requests that have broad department impact and/or moderate risk. Presents alternative solutions to business issues by leveraging the broader organization.
• Actively engages in new hotel openings utilizing critical path tools and communicates need areas to regional team.
• Drive food and beverage metrics, utilizing Micros occupancy tools or other to maximize flow through
• Has a deep understanding of and drives Ritz Carlton Brand culture and operational priorities
• Operations and generates innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
• Reviews product & service standards for food & beverage concepts.
• Evaluates and identifies business opportunities for new and additional concepts and programs that support the Luxury & Lifestyle brands.
• Manages effective partnerships with third party partners, suppliers, designers, consultants, and concept partners when applicable.
• Oversees proper controls to ensure that all third party vendors and consultants deliver concepts & plans in a timely fashion.
• Works with key stakeholders within hotel operations, technical services, design and supply management to ensure all parties assist and support the hotel operational efficiency
• Ensures continuous communication and alignment with the Select Service and Luxury & Lifestyle brand management teams.
• Executes the organization’s mission, goals and objectives and demonstrates through ongoing and direct motivation, communication, group dynamics and leadership.
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
Leading Discipline Team:
• Champions leaders’ vision for product and service delivery.
• Works with direct reports and peers to develop and implement strategies and goals. Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding goals to produce desired results.
• Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep team moving forward toward achievement of goals.
• Provides targeted and timely communication of results, achievements and challenges to direct reports, peers, and leaders.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities:
• Continuously improves department, program, team, and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
• Interviews and hires employees.
• Facilitates regular, ongoing communication in department (e.g., staff meetings).
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for performance goals.
• Solicits employee feedback.
• Utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Promotes adherence to policies consistently, follows disciplinary procedures and documents items according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
• Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
• Identifies talents of direct reports and their teams, and assists with their growth and development plans.