Sr. Director, Infrastructure Project Management Office
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 1800112Y
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Sr. Director – iPMO is responsible for the overall project management function, providing leadership, coordination and management of the infrastructure PMO processes and functions. (S)he will liase and interact directly and frequently with infrastructure Technical Account Managers (TAMs) who provide project and program level account management, business partners, application & infrastructure engineering and operations teams and IT executives. (S)he will supervise a team on behalf of the IT Delivery organization (IT-Run) that provides infrastructure project & technical account management support functions, business analytics, and administrative support to business partners and peer groups (IT-Plan & IT-Build). The Sr. Director – iPMO interacts with functional business unit leadership to develop, enhance and maintain a project management strategy and process mapping that aligns with business objectives and priorities. (S)he will guide all aspects of iPMO strategic initiatives and implementation, and will be accountable to enhance and refine the infrastructure project management office to scale with Marriott’s rapidly expanding global requirements.
This position will leverage standardized methods and tools, and is accountable to implement continuous improvement programs to improve services, service levels, and cost-effectiveness over time. The ideal candidate will have functional and technical experience and will be an expert in project management systems.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience/certification.
- 12+ years’ experience in information technology project management across diverse application and infrastructure stacks.
- 7+ years’ experience in leading project teams and implementing enterprise solutions.
- 5+ years’ experience in developing and anlayzing business metrics.
- Demonstrated record of managing internal and external projects from inception to successful implementation.
- Solid understanding of and extensive experience with current technologies in a given technology stack.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills.
- Very high level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate employees, and elicit work output in a team environment.
- Graduate/post-graduate degree.
- PMP/PMI certified or related certifications.
- Project Management Certification and familiarity with multiple project and organizational methodologies.
- Ability to align change management strategies.
- Skilled in conceptualizing creative solutions, documenting them, and presenting/selling them to senior management.
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with all organizational levels.
- Fosters and builds a collaborative working relationship with various stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of risk management.
- Understanding of Agile development methodologies.
- Hands-on experience in project/portfolio resource planning, reporting, prioritization, and budgeting.
- Directs the work of TAM organization and Business Analytics departments, responsible for end-to-end infrastructure program & project management across all functions.
- Develops and implements a standard project management framework for infrastructure programs consisting of TAM processes, common templates, controls & IT Run governance activities as well as supporting project management tools and capabilities to meet the objectives of IT, Executive and business partners.
- Acts as lead representative for IT Service Delivery at organizational meetings.
- Drives the establishment and compliance of infrastructure project management guidelines and practices to ensure effective, efficient, high quality delivery that consistently meets or exceeds the expectations of business partners.
- Identifies and assigns resources required for projects; sets priorities and plans; assigns, trains, and supervises the work of subordinates.
- Functions as escalation point for project teams, customers and stakeholders.
- Serves as liaison with executive leadership, business customers and technology stakeholders.
- Provides thought leadership to infrastructure program and project delivery and leads continuous improvement programs to streamline and improve effectiveness.
- Coordinates and communicates with internal customers, external customers and third-party partners as needed to set and manage expectations, highlight and resolve issues and ensure an overall excellent experience working with the iPMO team.
- Facilitates Product / Business Team meetings, reporting on program management issues, and escalating business issues as necessary and assign action items and drive to closure.
- Leads the execution of a PMO governance, reporting and review framework to provide a holistic view of all organizational program & project activity.
- Drives and support the company's Digital Transformation.
a culture of excellence and execution in Program Management and communication.
Managing Programs, Projects and Policies
- Ensures adoption and implementation of project and program management methodologies, including both agile and waterfall, and oversees project and program management coaching.
- Manages critical strategic programs to achieve financial objectives, with understanding and awareness of the impact of project decisions on budgets as well as recognition of revenue and expenses.
- Identifies and schedules project deliverables, milestones, and required tasks.
- Ensures that all program participants provide timely information, deliverables and execution per program schedules.
- Directs and coordinates activities of matrixed project teams to monitor project(s) so that they progress on schedule and within budget.
- Establishes standards and procedures for project reporting and documentation.
- Reviews status reports prepared by project personnel and modifies schedules and plans as required.
- Informs the appropriate team members of project status and related issues.
- Manages program/project risks.
- Defines and implements standard project delivery methods and practices.
- Directs interdependencies and coordination across projects to ensure that information relating to project deliverables, risks and issues are effectively communicated between stakeholders and that key performance indicators are monitored and evaluated.
- Directly manages and coordinates a number of simultaneous projects and activities.
- Works with senior leadership to provide strategic and tactical advice on program/project planning and execution.
- Partners with all Technology stakeholders to ensure that IT project and program initiatives are performed and delivered to the highest satisfaction.
- Performs infrastructure project planning, including identifying and developing milestones, scheduling, identifications of risks, contingency plans, allocation of resources, and deliverables to meet business needs.
- Creates repeatable internal and external governance structures for managing projects, tracking tasks and progress.
- Manages team communication, and communicates progress of team to external constituents, serving as a single point of contact for all program/project status items.
- Fosters collaborative and mutually supportive relationships with project leaders and senior stakeholders.
- Aggressively manages risk and issues, mitigating efforts as appropriate.
- Develops, attracts, manages and retains world class technology project management professionals.
- Defines and implements standard business analytic reporting metrics and reporting.
- Establishes and presents performance metrics to facilitate the broader team’s ability to respond in a timely manner.
- Creates dashboards and reports for Business Partners and IT Leadership review.
- Defines business strategies and organizational policies to enable the strategic coordination of projects and initiatives to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Coordinates project management logistics across staff and support contractors.
- Interprets policies, procedures, goals, and objectives of the organization and ensures alignment activities.
- Ensures iPMO program and project data is always current and available.
- Manages oversight and documention of iPMO business processes and internal controls. Makes applicable recommendations for improved processes and controls and assists with implementing and institutionalizing related policies and procedures.
- Tracks performance metrics for all IT Delivery programs and projects throughout the organization and maintains centralized accountability for management of IT project portfolios.
- Drives system requirements for world-class Business Systems implementations
- Ensures that investments and initiatives in project management services are aligned with business strategy and priorities.
- Collaborates with finance, business unit leaders to develop and manage project and program budgeting and cost estimation approaches, project forecasting, resource allocation, and re-allocations.
- Monitors value metrics to make informed decisions that maximize returns across enterprise projects and programs.
- Adaptability – Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication – Possesses exceptional communication skills, presentation skills, ownership acumen, and is able to deconstruct problems and projects into execution detail..
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor – Possesses exceptional leadership skills. Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building and Contributing to Teams – Strong leader, team builder, advocate, and can effectively collaborate, communicate and cross borders with the intent to bring people together.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution of projects across technology stacks to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Customer Relationships – Works closely with all types of stakeholders and is able to understand requirements (non-functional and functional), manage expectations, and drive the analyses and design of quality technical solutions on behalf of the infrastructure team while collaborating with the development team to receive and support the requirements through the full lifecycle of an application.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen – Demonstrates strong understanding and knowledge of tools in a given technology stack. Possesses infrastructure background with experience in a given technology stack.
- Business Process and Analysis – Knowledge of multiple processes within sponsor department; ability to document key process flows, recognize processes for redesign, identify opportunities and translate business processes into information system’s needs. Ability to define quality measures and evaluate performance against standards and to identify issues, risks and possible paths of resolution or mitigation strategies.