Systems Engineer - Workplace & Cloud Services
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000UJV
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Systems Engineer serves as a Subject Matter Expert in a complex array of solutions. An ideal candidate will exhibit strong communications skills, be self-motivated, adaptable and dependable. This individual will play a critical role in engineering and supporting End User Computing’s Cloud and Workplace services as a technical resource. They will contribute in resolving complex issues and providing input for decisions on more complex, non-routine service requests with limited to moderate risk. This role will be called upon can make contributions into research, analysis, design, creation and implementation of systems to meet current and future user requirements. This individual will collaborate on multiple projects to ensure for successful completion.
- Undergraduate degree in an engineering or computer science discipline and/or equivalent experience/certification
- 5+ years’ experience in information technology
- Technical skills:
- 5+ years engineering one of the following solutions:
- Directory (AD, AAD)
- E-mail (Exchange)
- End Point Security (Crowdstrike, Checkpoint, Cylance, Trend)
- 3+ years working with one of the following services:
- Cloud Services (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Federated Identity Provider (Ping, Tivoli)
- Office 365
- 3+ years developing solutions in two or more of the following: HTML, JSON, VB Script, VB.NET, Linux Shell Script, Power Shell, Java, C#, C, Python, or Swift.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences including executives, business stakeholders and IT teams
- Demonstrated ability to perform independently as a member of a team and through cross functional initiatives
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to operate effectively across multiple priorities
- Technical skills:
- 3+ years engineering one or more of the following solutions:
- E-mail Protection and Security (Enterprise Vault, Ironport, Proofpoint)
- End User Monitoring (Nexthink, Stratusphere)
- Infrastructure Monitoring (Patrol, SCOM)
- MDM (Airwatch, Mobile Iron, Intune)
- Patching and Software Distribution (BigFix, Tanium, WSUS)
- 3+ years engineering solutions for Windows 2012 or higher
- Demonstrated experience with Agile, user-centered design, design thinking, heuristic analysis, and Riskiest Assumption Testing methods.
- Demonstrated experience with integrating emerging technology into a large, global business using both on premise and cloud infrastructure.
- Demonstrated experience with Big Data platforms such as Hadoop, Splunk, or Spark.
- Demonstrated experience engineering event correlation systems from multiple sources such as IDS/IPS, Web Application Firewalls, Syslogs, Event Logs.
- Experience in researching emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products.
- Strong understanding of emerging tools, software, applications, and systems for attaining best-in-class technologies.
- Technical operations, administration, or engineering background
- Proficiency in Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Provides engineering, oversight, governance and tactical direction related to the cloud and workplace services that are required to enable the delivery of IT services
- Provides input to the overall architecture, operational governance model
- Researches, designs, and tests components that are standards based, high performing, highly available, and secure in delivering the required business functionality
- Educates internal and external users on the technologies to continually improve the knowledge and skill-base of the organization on how to operate and support the technology services
- Participates in the evaluation and selection of service products
- Supports analysis of the current environment to detect critical deficiencies and designs solutions for improvement
- Utilizes capacity modeling to ensure systems have the necessary space and resources to perform the business strategy and goals.
- Utilizes capability modeling to align systems strategy and planning with business strategy and goals
- Consults with project teams to identify when it is necessary to modify services to accommodate project needs
- Supports, implements and promotes standard configuration and change management, processes and practices
- Develop test plans, implementation plans, and project timelines for assigned projects
- Leads Peer Design Reviews and Design Thinking sessions
- Performs quantitative and qualitative analyses for service design processes and projects.
- Participates with the Service Delivery and Transition teams in planning and coordinating implementation, reviewing quality control of systems functional design, usability, functionality, and implementation.
- Coordinates with appropriate IT and vendor relation teams.
- Acts as a 4th level of support to cloud and workplace products and platforms.
- Provides early warning to leadership regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Follows all defined standards and processes (i.e. IT Governance, SM&G, Architecture, etc.), and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
- Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
- Follows the defined project management standards and processes
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.