Senior Administrative Assistant
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000QVH
Job Category Administrative
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Performs administrative functions in support of achieving the department's objectives. Supports an individual or group of individuals within a department by conducting work that is generally administrative or project oriented. Develops alternatives and determines solutions for assignments, including those that may be unique and non-recurring. Makes decisions that may have a measurable impact on the department/division. Often the incumbent will be responsible for interpreting internal policies and procedures and will be seen as a resource to others. Handles confidential and sensitive material.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 4 years’ experience as an administrative assistant or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years’ experience as an administrative assistant or related professional area.
- Knowledge of a full range of administrative processes typically gained through extensive years of experience.
- Knowledge of advanced functions of a word processing package and may require a working knowledge of other business software packages, including spreadsheet and graphics packages.
- Answers departmental telephone line(s); provides callers with responses to all types of requests, both routine and those requiring research and follow-up; directs calls to the appropriate person or takes messages. Develops alternative methods to handle requests and address ambiguous issues. Routinely responds back directly to the caller after performing research or follow-up.
- Composes all types of correspondence or documents, many times on behalf of the supervisor. Correspondence may be directed toward outside owners, customers or senior level executives. Typically drafts correspondence under own signature.
- Identifies areas where new administrative policies and procedures may be necessary within a department. Initiates the project to develop the new policy or procedure.
- Researches questions and problems regarding departmental or administrative policies, procedures, information or services, including questions, which are complex in nature. Gathers data from multiple sources and analyzes information as appropriate.
- Reconciles departmental expense accounts as reflected on the distribution summary or operating statement; identifies discrepancies and prepares variance analyses to explain comparisons to last year's results or the current year budget. May assist in the development and forecasting of budget items.
- Schedules appointments and meetings or makes travel arrangements for department personnel, evaluating alternatives and making decisions regarding pricing and logistical issues.
- Processes data through an automated administrative system, such as expense reports, accounts payable, payroll and personnel data. Performs research and follow-up necessary to solve problems encountered.
- Performs data entry into a mainframe application and develops databases or spreadsheets as necessary.
- Presents information to a group.
- Sets priorities and establishes procedures for completing responsibilities.
- Delegate portions of work to others when appropriate.
- Resolves and determines the urgency level of conflicting priorities. Prioritizes some aspects of the work for the supervisor, such as identifying critical items and ascertaining which items are to be delegated to subordinate managers, handled by the supervisor or handled by incumbent.
- Incumbent receives minimal supervision. Instructions are received at the beginning of complex projects and sensitive assignments and the resulting work is generally reviewed at completion. Some work may be distributed without review.
- Incumbent is responsible for setting priorities and establishing procedures for completing responsibilities. Incumbent may delegate portions of work to others. Incumbent is responsible for resolving and determining the urgency level of conflicting priorities. Incumbent is responsible for prioritizing some aspects of the work for the supervisor, such as identifying critical items and ascertaining which items are to be delegated to subordinate managers, handled by the supervisor or handled by incumbent.
- Advocates and demonstrates continuous improvement by adjusting to new ways as conditions
- and priorities change which may include learning new skills
- Takes initiative by being a part of the solution and assisting in the resolution of issues/problems resulting from change
- Able to work with different levels of management and management styles as needed in position
- Keeps work group informed, speaks and writes clearly and concisely
- Actively listens to others recommendations while seeking clarification and offering alternatives as appropriate
- Communicates in a timely, proactive manner, receives directions and feedback well
Job Related Business Focus
- Actions support key business values of customer service, associate satisfaction and financial success
- Demonstrates pleasant, helpful and accurate service to internal and external customers
- Respects fellow associates
- Efficiently purchases and utilizes resources to produce quality products
Planning & Organizing
- Sets priorities and establishes a realistic action plan while anticipating potential issues
- impacting the plan
- Develops and follows procedures for ensuring quality, is detail‐oriented, maximizes resources,
- meets deadlines, and follows through on assignments
- Identifies problems and seeks resolution through sound judgment and solid decision making skills, where appropriate
- Directs problems to higher level or applicable department for resolution
- Works well in a team environment
- Acts as a liaison with other resources/departments as appropriate
- Gives recognition, collaborates and builds trust among others, treats people fairly, equally and respectfully, promotes celebration when appropriate
- Demonstrates requisite technical expertise as defined by the position.
- Demonstrates commitment and reliability in getting the job done efficiently, timely,
- professionally and accurately
- Balances multiple projects simultaneously and maintains the personal, technical and
- professional skills needed to perform job duties
- Consistently strives to improve these skills and represents staff and division positively