Director, Integrated Marketing Communications & Strategy
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000OJR
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
This position is responsible for developing and executing global media strategies aligned with Marriott, Sheraton and Delta brand business objectives. This role partners with the Sr. Director, IMC and is a core part of the Marriott, Sheraton and Delta brand marketing teams to lead integrated marketing communications and strategy. The Director, IMC will provide a focused brand lens, to develop global strategies and oversee implementation for the Americas across paid, earned and owned channels targeting both B2C and B2B audiences. This position will provide media guidance and oversight globally. This role requires close collaboration with other departments such as continent teams, Global Marketing, PR, Social, Partnership and Media COE.
Education and Experience Preferred
· 4 years degree
· 6 to 8 years of relevant professional experience in marketing/communications with experience in the development and execution of multi-channel marketing plans
· Strong media experience with agency experience a plus
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Core Work Activities
· Partners with Sr Dir, IMC and Brand Marketing team to lead and oversee the strategic planning, implementation and optimization of marketing communications programs within the following channels: Paid (off and online), earned (PR), Owned (social and digital channels, emails).
· Leads and briefs the relevant media agencies and team on key brand objectives, communication strategies and target audiences. Evaluates and guides the POE strategies and activations that meet the brand objectives.
· Allocates and manages communication budget with approval and partnership of brand marketing / management leads.
· Monitors and optimizes communication plans (including digital plans) based on key metric results. Includes monitoring key business and brand health metrics. Identifies opportunities and gaps.
· Collaborate with Brand Marketing teams to ensure creative and media integration.
· Collaborates with PR, Social and Partnerships along with brand to determine opportunities and ensure one brand voice is presented to the marketplace.
· Collaborates with Media COE to define down funnel investment strategy and ensure mid to lower funnel efforts (prospecting, remarketing, paid and meta search) drive bookings. This includes monitoring results and optimizing bookings and ROI.
Managing Responsibilities with Stakeholders
· Develops and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders across the organization. Fosters a positive climate to build effective teams that are committed to organizational goals and initiatives.
· Updates stakeholders on key initiative wins and opportunities, responds to concerns, and solicits feedback. Engages leadership to develop and execute action plans to address gaps.
· Assists direct reports with building and maintaining stakeholder relationships as business partnerships.
Leading and Managing Teams
· Hires, develops, and retains diverse talent that makes a strong, positive impact on the organization.
· Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, ambitious standards, and innovation.
· Sets clear organizational goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds team accountable for performance.
· Continuously improves team and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
· Builds teams with the appropriate mix of talent and skills to drive innovation and performance. Identifies talents of direct reports, and assists with their growth and development plans
· Facilitates regular, ongoing communication in department.
Managing Projects and Priorities
· Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work for self and direct reports.
· Provides direction and assistance to other teams regarding projects. Determines priorities, schedules, plans and necessary resources to ensure completion of any projects on schedule.
· Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
· Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new plans or programs. Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
· Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates the quality of the teams’ operations.
· Provides recommendations to improve the effectiveness of processes or programs.
· Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders.
· Supports achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
· Shows an understanding of the needs of different customer/stakeholder segments and develops appropriate service strategies.
· Creates a service-oriented environment and empowers others to build strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
· Monitors customer/stakeholder feedback and metrics to improve service delivery.
· Uses appropriate risk management resources when serious customer/stakeholder situations occur.
· Creates and coaches others on promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included.
· Champions the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
· Ensures processes are in place to address concerns related to equity and fair treatment.
· Brings together people with diverse backgrounds to drive innovation and engagement.
· Establishes diverse partnerships across the industry, profession, and Company.
· Champions the attraction, development, and retention of a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
· Ensures that all associates have the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
· Implements programs that promote inclusion and engagement.
· Ensures strategies are in place to promote inclusion, enhance engagement, and maximize business results.
· Builds strong working relationships across departments or teams.
· Models and coaches others on creating an open, trusting, and supportive work environment.
· Coaches others on how their behavior impacts coworkers and the work environment.
· Coaches direct reports to work together to set expectations for achieving shared goals.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Creates and holds direct reports accountable for building an environment that supports feedback and ongoing development.
· Sets and models expectations for required behavior, knowledge, and skill levels.
· Provides ongoing feedback and customized coaching to others.
· Develops others by identifying needs and setting appropriate department, team, and individual goals.
· Conducts talent reviews across the business and develops succession plans for key leadership positions.
· Networks with high potential leaders and coaches others on targeted recruitment efforts.
· Uses available recruiting and hiring tools, brings together hiring teams, and makes hiring decisions.
· Supports successful on‐boarding of new hires.
· Continuously improves department, program, team, and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
· Puts systems and processes in place to manage department and program performance.
· Brings together the appropriate talent levels and mix of skill sets to drive innovation and performance.
· Establishes and ensures understanding of the scope of decision-making authority for team members.
· Models and holds direct reports accountable for using meetings and other forums to regularly communicate.
Communication and Professional Demeanor
· Actively listens and uses appropriate communication styles to deliver information in an articulate, understandable, and engaging way.
· Influences others to accept a point of view, gain consensus, or take action.
· Keeps leaders informed about key issues.
· Models and coaches others on displaying a leadership style that conveys confidence and gains respect from others.
Leading Through Vision and Values
· Models, coaches, and holds others accountable for leading ethically and with a high degree of integrity.
· Promotes a convincing and inspiring vision for the direction of the Company, brand, and team.
· Models and holds departments and project teams accountable for developing and implementing programs that reflect the
Company’s core values.
· Presents the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment and action.
· Encourages others to identify ways to implement desired changes.
· Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
· Models flexibility and adjusts others’ and own priorities when managing multiple demands.
· Manages stakeholder expectations during change.
· Develops strategies and provides resources to implement change.
· Takes steps to minimize the stress others feel when change occurs.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
· Models and sets expectations for offering suggestions and solving complex problems.
· Uses data from various sources to evaluate alternatives, consider their potential impact, and make decisions.
· Involves key stakeholders to gain agreement and support before making high impact decisions.
· Makes key decisions and guides others to implement solutions in a reasonable amount of time.
· Demonstrates a strong understanding of Company, brand, discipline, and program strategies.
· Uses data to thoroughly evaluate opportunities and focuses on those with the greatest potential business impact.
· Adapts global Company and brand strategies into plans that can be implemented within the business to maximize customer/stakeholder satisfaction and profitability.
· Uses data to build program strategies and make the business case for stakeholder commitment.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Uses an understanding of market dynamics and the business environment to identify opportunities for improvement.
· Monitors industry and market changes and adjusts priorities as needed.
· Sets department or team standards and uses key business metrics to evaluate performance.
· Models and coaches’ others on making business decisions based on data from a variety of sources.
· Evaluates profit and loss statements, develops operating budgets, and conducts forecasting.
· Demonstrates sound business judgment in addressing resource needs and improving efficiencies while balancing associate, customer/stakeholder, and financial results.
· Creates an environment where learning is valued and encouraged.
· Models and sets expectations for others to evaluate own and others’ strengths and developmental needs.
· Secures resources and creates opportunities for self and others to improve performance through stretch assignments and other professional development activities.
· Models and coaches others on staying current on industry and discipline trends and holds others accountable for using relevant best practices.
· Establishes training requirements for the team and holds others accountable for meeting training goals.
· Models and holds others accountable for staying current in area of expertise.
· Shows a strong understanding of the operating principles, resource needs, terminology, and interdependence of all relevant functions to support successful discipline operations.
· Promotes the development of partnerships across teams to solve complex issues and improve performance.
· Ensures compliance with contractual, legal and regulatory requirements.
Building a Successful Team
· Coordinates with other departments and teams and helps clarify the responsibilities of each group.
· Communicates clear expectations about how departments, teams, and individuals contribute to success.
· Considers associates’ strengths and team dynamics when assigning work.
· Coaches and holds others accountable for establishing team‐building strategies and encouraging cooperation.
· Involves team members in making decisions that impact the team.
· Recognizes achievements that support department and team success.
Driving for Results
· Reinforces a team environment that encourages accountability, ambitious standards, innovation, and strong business performance.
· Works with others to establish shared and individual goals.
· Monitors department, team, and individual performance.
· Makes sure associates are clear on expectations, timelines, and budget requirements.
· Identifies and focuses on business opportunities that have the highest value for the Company.
· Helps others understand work requirements by explaining why the work is important and by breaking down projects into manageable tasks.
· Analyzes department, team, and individual workload to prioritize tasks and delegate appropriately.
· Identifies and obtains the equipment, materials, personnel, and other resources teams need to accomplish their work.
· Establishes and coaches others on processes for monitoring work quality and project milestones.