Area Director of Finance
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000NOD
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Canada Regional Office, Mississauga, Ontario VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Area Director of Finance (ADFA) works with the Regional VP Finance Business Partner and the Area Vice President in providing financial strategic support to the region to achieve profit and key performance goals while further enhancing owner relationships. The candidate should provide functional expertise and business perspective to identify profitable opportunities and make optimal business decisions. The ADFA advises GM’s and Directors of Finance (DFAs) on existing and evolving operating/ financial issues across all brands.
The ADFA will oversee ~ 20-25 full service, multi-brand hotels and have additional accounting and finance duties. This person will lead the Controls and Compliance effort within the region, in liaison with the Regional Manager of Internal Controls. In addition, the Area Director of Finance will also provide accounting oversight, ensuring compliance with tax and statutory and entity accounting for Canada, as well as overseeing the region’s shared services organization.
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position in the “Area” role for Marriott-managed hotels in Canada:
- Implement appropriate processes, metrics and controls to manage business risks and ensure a strong accounting & operational control environment exists to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability in the region.
- Develop and implement processes and tools that enhance the region's ability to make sound business decisions and identify opportunities to increase profits. Educates property teams on profit maximization and helps them identify opportunities to increase profits in their properties.
- Assist Regional VP Finance Business Partner with development activity in the region (formulation of plans, monitoring/modifying proformas, and lending financial/strategic support to optimize unit growth).
- Assist in the development of pre-opening and working capital budgets for new openings. Works with property team on pre-opening activities relating to finance and accounting, ensuring all billing procedures are set up according to the management agreement and surfaces potential issues to protect Marriott’s interest.
- Ensure that GMs and DFAs are knowledgeable about the management agreement and deal structure for their property, and that their operations are in compliance with contract requirements.
- Provide support and expertise related to entity accounting issues in support of above-property and shared service activities/initiatives
- Facilitates the Area’s business planning processes (LRP, operating and capital budgets, forecast, risk assessment), standard reporting processes (working capital, month end reporting, annual statement of operations, etc.), and compliance with local tax, financial, accounting regulations, and management agreements.
- Provides direction and support to ensure compliance on balance sheet analysis/certification, hotel audits and internal control standards, P&L reviews, cash flow forecasts, technical accounting, financial systems and reporting, and financial analysis (pro forma, project analysis, business cases, etc.).
- Is a strategic business partner to the AVP & Area teams by providing financial leadership and strategic perspective in developing and monitoring business plans to achieve profit and growth objectives.
- Ensures strong owner relationships in the Area by understanding the owners' perspectives & ROI expectations, proactively anticipating and addressing needs, and managing an effective balance between the owner's and MI's interests by developing solutions that create value for both.
- Attracts and develops diverse, high-caliber talent that makes a strong positive impact on the organization. Partners with Regional VP Finance Business Partner to develop strategies for succession planning and career development.
- Delivers financial training to Area hotel teams to comply with MI policies and procedures (e.g. training on how to read P&Ls)
- Uses technical expertise and understanding of global and local economy, laws, regulations, and tax issues and their potential business impact to devise strategies to manage financial risk and grow the business.
- Advises General Managers, Hotel DOFs, Corporate, Owners, Continent/ Area Team members on business issues, challenges & opportunities, and performance.
- Takes a proactive role during individual and Area Team property visits providing trouble shooting for respective property costs, internal controls, revenue opportunities, brand standards, balance score card, etc.
- Effectively communicates with hotel DOFs on Continent and Canada strategies and initiatives
- Pursues initiative and innovation to improve overall companies systems, processes, and industry competitiveness.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
CANDIDATE PROFILE - KEY TALENTS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Minimum of 8 years progressive financial management experience with at least 2 years in the field; lodging/hospitality knowledge required
- Knowledge of/experience with Marriott, Delta, and/or SPG brand a plus
- Multi-property and/or large hotel oversight strongly preferred
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent finance, accounting and analytical skills, including experience with cash management, forecasting, revenue management strategies, capital expenditure planning and budgeting, and project management
- Evaluates business trends and develops and successfully implements new business programs and strategies that enhance financial performance in a complex multidimensional operating environment
- Experience in owner relations is preferred.
- Understands complex operating and financial agreements; demonstrated success in evaluating risks and developing proactive strategies and plans to mitigate business issues.
- Previous experience and success in hiring, managing, assessing and developing staff. Strong relationship recruiting skills to ensure strong pipeline of talent
- Translates business needs into what needs to get done; ensure that all work is completed effectively; monitor the progress of work against schedules and budgets; maintain high performance standard; work effectively by using a highly collaborative style.
- Develops and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders; influence without direct management authority
- Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations, sell ideas persuasively, settle differences and win concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful as well as diplomatic
- Fosters relationships and a positive climate to build effective teams that are committed to organizational goals and initiatives; demonstrate flexibility in approach and vision; step forward to address difficult issues and guide others toward the accomplishment of identified, meaningful goals.
- Possesses an understanding and appreciation of cultural differences. Multi- language skills preferred
- Creates an atmosphere in which timely information flows smoothly both upward and downward through the organization; possesses exceptional communications skills.
- Supports, initiates and manages change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers or to accelerate its pace
- Ability to travel minimum of 50%
Education and Professional Certification
- Baccalaureate degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline required;
- MBA or Masters of Science/Graduate Degree in Finance or related field strongly preferred.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Notification to Applicants: Canada Regional Office takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and will provide accommodations to job applicants needing assistance. If you require an accommodation in relation to this job posting, our online application or an interview, please contact Kristi Thyssen at 289-259-6983 or by e-mail at Kristi.Thyssen@marriott.com. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals who would like to request an accommodation as part of the recruiting process.