Senior Manager, Learning Development (Luxury Brands)
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000MGH
Job Category Human Resources
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Senior Manager is a key member of the Global Learning + Development (L+D) team, specifically positioned to support the design and development of service & culture training programs for Marriott’s brand programs, platforms, and project initiatives.
The Senior Manager is expected to demonstrate deep learning leadership expertise [gained from both academic and professional work experience] in order to lead projects using both classic and contemporary learning design strategies that meet learner and business needs. The Senior Manager will directly design and develop solutions for assigned projects in addition to working with a broader pool of instructional designers. The Senior Manager is expected to be fluent with the lifecycle of learning design, the associated development processes, and various technology tools used for development. The Senior Manager assists other L+D leaders in evaluating the effectiveness of training programs and ensuring training meets the business needs and performance development objectives.
- Design, develop, and implement training strategies, programs and products for Marriott’s brand programs, platforms, and project initiatives.
- Partner with HR Brand Talent function to assess business needs and work with business representatives/stakeholders to scope project requirements.
- Scope the learning and development needs for the project to identify the resources, learning objectives, output milestones, budget, and timeline for each project.
- Determine whether to build, buy or curate content to meet the needs of the client.
- Utilize creative thinking capabilities to design and develop client specific products.
- Lead and interact with subject matter experts across a variety of clients to design and develop effective learning solutions.
- Ensure the creation of all learning solutions maintain high standards of excellence in design, instructional soundness, and meet the business needs within the project parameters (e.g., time, budget, business objectives).
- Solicit and incorporate feedback from subject matter experts and assess evaluation feedback to make appropriate changes.
- Ensure training is global and applicable across all properties within each brand when applicable.
- Directly lead the development effort on projects assigned to instill confidence among senior stakeholders in the organization, and to use the opportunities to coach and develop others on the broader L+D development team who may work on the project.
- Responsible for overall project management and oversight of projects (e.g., scope, time, budget).
- Plan and execute learning designs for all projects to ensure stakeholders are appropriately informed and support the learning approach proposed.
- Identify long-range needs of the development team members and work with senior L+D leaders to appropriate the necessary funds and time for training, tools & technology enhancements, and internal/external involvement in professional development opportunities.
- Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders, across corporate and operations disciplines.
- Work along with business partners to ensure training meets the needs of the individual stakeholders and audience members.
- Scan the learning and educational technology environment (external to Marriott) to propose new tools, processes, and vendors to elevate the L+D department’s capabilities.
Education and Experience Required:
- 4-year bachelor's degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hospitality, Education, or related major.
- 5+ years of related work experience in the learning + development discipline
- Deep learning development experience and expertise using Development tools, e.g., Adobe Creative Cloud applications, Storyline, Captivate, etc.
- Experience consulting to business leaders, providing training design and development across multiple mediums (e.g., instructor-led, eLearning, video, virtual-ILT)
- Fiscal responsibility for project budgets
- Experience working with third-party development vendors who produce training materials under Marriott’s direction
- Experience developing cutting-edge and digital learning programs for Premium Consumer Brands in the respective brand segment supported (e.g., luxury, lifestyle, full service)
- Graduate/post graduate degree in Instructional Design, Adult Learning, or related Education field.
- Hospitality/Lodging industry and Marketing expertise preferred with general knowledge of luxury brands, hotel operations, continent and headquarters environments
- Demonstrated success working in a complex, service-intensive, deadline-driven environment associated with consumer, marketing, or loyalty initiatives
- Demonstrated success in working with and influencing cross-functional work teams in a matrix organization
- Demonstrated success managing multiple projects on time and on budget within a cost recovery business environment
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and in high pressure situations
- History of consistently delivering positive business results
- History of developing others and self in the learning discipline
- History of external involvement in professional associations and learning-related organizations
- Strong design and development experience and demonstrated ability in applying adult learning theory and iterative instructional design methodologies (i.e., Successive Approximation Model (SAM)), using a variety of innovative approaches.
- High degree of technical proficiency with software programs necessary for the position: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Cloud (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop) and eLearning development tools such as Captivate, Articulate and others.
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders at varying levels of management with credibility.
- Ability to be detailed oriented, while maintaining alignment with broader organization objectives.
- Comfort with complexity, ambiguity, and change.
- Possess strong content writing ability, creativity, attention to detail and excellent proofing and editing skills.
- Self-starter with self-confidence, enthusiasm, and strong customer service orientation.
- Manages time well, correctly prioritizes tasks, and is flexible.