Sr. Systems Engineer - Database Administrator
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000MDL
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Sr. Systems Engineer ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of in-house information systems that support the core organizational functions. This role will perform research, analysis, design, creation, and implementation of systems to meet current and future user requirements. The candidate will be immersed in the elements of development, design, integration, operation, and support of database platform services. S/he will work with operational, application and engineering experts to develop, implement and maintain services, monitoring, reporting, tuning and new automation functionalities for comprehensive solutions that meet and/or exceed Marriott’s application requirement. Primary functions include troubleshooting database issues, completion of requests, lifecycle management, capacity, health and performance management, continuous service improvement, business and technical analyses, reporting and project management. S/he will support Marriott’s infrastructure in a hybrid RDBMS and NoSQL environment and work efficiently with our technology providers as well as other engineering, application, and operations teams.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in an engineering or computer science discipline and/or equivalent experience/certification
· 8+ years experience in information technology administrating and supporting database platforms (Examples: Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Couchbase, Cassandra, DB2 – UDB/LUW)
- 5+ years of experience working with RDBMS (Relational Database Management Systems) platforms
· Experience in the design, implementation or operational support of mission critical solutions in large scale environments and organizations
- Demonstrated experience delivering technology solutions in a fast-paced, deadline driven enterprise environment
- Demonstrated experience learning and applying new technologies to solve business needs
- Excellent problem-solving skills working independently and through leading outcomes for cross functional teams
- Excellent understanding of change management, testing requirements, techniques, and tools to ensure high availability of systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences including executives, business stakeholders and IT teams
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to operate effectively across multiple priorities
· Experience in researching emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products
- 10+ years’ experience supporting multiple database platforms at an enterprise scale
- 3+ years’ experience supporting NoSQL platforms (Examples: Couchbase, Cassandra, MongoDB)
- 5+ Experience with database architecture design and engineering
- 5+ Experience with SQL development (Example: PL/SQL, T-SQL, N1QL, PL/pgSQL, SQL/PSM, SQL PL)
- Experience in Database Management Tools such as OEM, Precise, Couchbase WebUI / CLI, SQL Server Admin Studio, PGAdmin, MySQL Workbench
- Experience with Linux, Unix and Windows Operating Systems and networking
- Familiar with IT automation engines that enable database provisioning, configuration management, application deployment, intra-service orchestration and other IT needs; familiar with virtualization and container technologies (Example: VMWare, Docker, OSE)
- One or more Technical Certifications from Oracle, Microsoft, Open Source Platforms, etc.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
· Provides technical leadership, oversight, governance and direction for services related to Marriott solution delivery
· Provides technical expertise to project team for successful project and change implementations
- Develops and maintains Runbooks and Knowledge Base articles and offers guidance and training to operations personnel
· Determines customer requirements and works with sourced resources to develop solutions to meet them
- Leads analysis of current environment for deficiencies and provides solutions
- Leads/assists operational teams in database system updates & upgrades
· Provides input into lifecycle, improvement, and standardization strategies
· Develops and generates periodic utilization reports to provide visibility to performance, capacity, availability and SLA management
· Utilize capacity data to model future state planning with overall strategy and goals
· Provides and presents status, analysis and reporting to internal stakeholders, Executive Management and Senior Leadership
· Drive the objectives associated with Problem Management; such as customer communication and Root Cause Analysis reports
· Trains and/or mentors other team members, and peers as appropriate
- Identifies opportunities to enhance the service delivery, operations and continual service improvement processes
- Identifies best in class software and hardware products to meet the needs of a world class development team
- Develop implementation plans, test plans, and timelines for projects and tasks
- Responsible for the establishment and continuous development of monitoring and alerting for all production environments
· Create and enhance administrative, operational and technical policies and procedures, adopting best practice guidelines, standards and procedures for employees, contractors and vendor engagements
- Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
· Management of daily infrastructure operations to ensure availability SLA is met for storage services
· Interfaces with stakeholders to establish requirements and formulate priorities for infrastructure projects
· Leads/assists in configuration management
· Works in a concerted effort with application development and engineering teams to resolve complex issues
· Provides oversight, collaboration, provisioning, management and maintenance of technology products and service alternatives that improve the production services environment
· Responsible for the establishment and continuous development of monitoring and alerting for all production environments
· Develops internal processes and training to ensure team members have the needed skills and tools to support the production environments and deliver on project commitments
· Performs complex quantitative and qualitative analyses for operational availability to promote a zero-defect environment
- Facilitates achievement of expected deliverables and obligations of Services Providers
· Leads/assists operational teams in system updates & upgrades
· Provides consultation for routine and complex systems development
- Ensures early warning to the business stakeholder executives regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Coordinates with Plan and Build teams for deployment and production support activities
Service Provider Management
· Ensures proper coordination with appropriate IT and vendor relations teams
· Manages Service Providers with a focus on continuous service improvement and service evolution
· Monitors, manages and leads Service Provider outcomes required to ensure operational availability and a zero-defect production environment
· Consults with internal Service Management & external Service Providers on performance, business reporting, analytics metrics and business value dashboards
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
· Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self-and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self-and/o others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
· Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
o Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
o Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.