Area Vice President - North Africa
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 180008D4
Job Category Property Leadership
Location Dubai Area Office, Dubai, United Arab Emirates VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
English, French and Arabic language fluency preferred
Functions as the strategic corporate executive business leader. Supervises all aspects of performance, including planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating the quality of each unit’s performance. Ensures organizational structures, systems, and processes support business performance and innovation. Builds a high-performing senior team with clear leadership accountabilities. Holds leaders accountable for building teams with the appropriate mix of talent and skills to drive innovation and performance. Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep moving forward toward achievement of goals. Creates a synergistic leadership team and business environment that consistently delivers positive results and continuously strives to improve these results.
Responsible for the leadership and management of all hotels within an area and motivates team to achieve operational excellence. As Area Vice President, receives support from the team of Continent Office discipline Director’s and guides and directs GM’s in their property and their leadership teams in the development and implementation of area strategies and initiatives. Ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives for all brands located in their area of accountability with the objective of exceeding owner, guest and associate expectations. In addition, the Area Vice President builds relationships with key customers through personal involvement in the sales process throughout the area. The position ensures MI sales engines are leveraged and initiates independent and proactive sales activities when appropriate to generate demand. The position serves as the principal interface with property ownership and franchisees, as a business partnership. Builds owner loyalty through proactive communication, setting and managing expectations and delivering solid business results.
As Area Vice President has responsibility and accountability for the overall performance of managed properties within an area and oversees all activities associated with the pre-opening processes for new build units. Works in close partnership with the General Managers of each unit and provides leadership, resources and influence for the overall performance of the properties and ensures that the talent pipeline needed to meet the future growth needs of the country is in place; and ensures exceptional Marriott culture and leadership exists in all hotels, maximizing the care, development and retention of our associates talent. .
Education and Experience
• 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years’ experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
• 2-year graduate degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years’ experience in the business, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area required.
• 10+ years of progressive experience in managed hotels or equivalent experience in full service hotel segment elsewhere in the industry at GM level and should have had at least two discipline lead roles as a Excom team member (e.g., combined experience to include food & beverage, rooms operations, event management, quality assurance and prior strategic leadership roles or GM assignments with responsibility for multiple units).
• Excellent food & beverage, event management, rooms operations, revenue management, human resources and quality assurance skills, including experience with strategic planning, budgeting, negotiating and interpreting contracts, SOPs and project management.
• Demonstrated ability to operate in a matrix organization.
• Excellent project management skills and ability to independently manage multiple projects.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver results under tough conditions, even when faced with complexity and ambiguity.
• Experience evaluating business trends and developing and successfully implementing new business programs and strategies that enhance multi-unit business performance.
• Demonstrated success in evaluating risks and developing proactive strategies and plans to mitigate business issues.
• Knowledgeable in managing owner relation issues is preferred.
• Fluent English, French and Arabic communication level (oral & written).
• Willing to travel between 50 – 75% of working time.