Senior Manager, Learning & Development, GC
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 17001Y09
Job Category Human Resources
Location Australia GSO and Shared Svc, Sydney, New South Wales VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Responsible for the coordination and delivery of all L+D programs including core management, brand service culture, talent development and new build support, within designated markets. This position requires dynamic facilitation and classroom management capabilities as well as vILT experience. The Senior Manager, L+D Delivery provides an exceptional experience for participants through professional, energetic and enthusiastic program delivery. Also acts as an ambassador for the L&D team therefore demonstrates leadership skills and integrity at all times.
- Prepare completed schedules in advance and distribute on a timely basis to ensure program participation is maximized.
- Professional facilitation of a board range of programs which include participants from all levels of the organization including property and above property Senior Leadership.
- Works in conjunction with the Area or Market HR Directors and AVPS/MVPs to identify training needs and recommend insightful solutions or escalates to their respective Arear Director L+D Delivery.
- Support the building a strong internal and external L+D talent pipeline by working closely closely with property HR leaders to identify and build strong relationship with both internal & external potential L+D leaders of the future.
- Proactively works on engaging and connecting with L+D leaders in their respective market through regular meetings and networking activities.
- Leverages resources in each market to achieve synergy in: talent development and utilization, L+D system compliance & best practice sharing that positively impacts on the achievement of discipline and corporate initiatives.
- Leads and organizes market training events i.e. cluster ESSM / TOPPs / LEAD.
- A minimum of 50% of their time is spent training – ILT or vILT
- Flexible to travel as required
- Identify High Potential IMTNs in the market and provide feedback regarding development and next level program advancement.
- Monitor the performance of IMTN facilitators on a regular basis. Complete IMTN Assessments as directed.
- Provide feedback to facilitators to ensure consistency of program delivery.
- Provides consistent, relevant and timely information to senior leaders, ensuring all reporting requirements are achieved within designated time frames
- Work with on-property L+D Leaders, providing information and support as required for their development strategies.
- Support in the orientation and development of property L+D managers/officers by providing assistance to HR leaders on the Onboarding process for all the new hired training personnel.
- Work closely with the property Training / HR leaders to ensure all on property training programs are being delivered and all program requirements acted upon
- With agreement with HR Leader(s) conduct a minimum of 3 observations (or partial observations) of on-property programs delivered each quarter, and in various locations, to support the Training Leaders and provide feedback to encourage development and ensure consistency and compliance. Where appropriate, provide feedback to HR Leader(s).
- Effectively manage the day to day logistics and coordination of programs offered, ensuring appropriate materials are available, enrollments are submitted on a timely basis, ongoing and timely communication to key stakeholders
- Manages L+D social networking groups such as WeChat creating strong groups connections while ensuring timely field communications.
- Provides translation support as and when required.
- Serve as champion of Marriott culture instilling the core values and principles of Marriott, demonstrated in all behaviors and conversations
- Provide support, guidance and resources to support other discipline initiatives where appropriate and in consultation with the Area Director.
- Elevate questions, concerns or challenges to senior leaders as required in a timely manner
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Minimum 2 years in a senior training management role is essential
- An operations background will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 2 years Leadership experience (highly preferred Executive Committee level)
Skills and Knowledge
- Adult Learning – is knowledgeable and has hands-on experience in understanding and facilitating adult learning
- Facilitation and Training – has mastered skills in facilitation, training and presentation including vILT
- Has the proven ability to successfully facilitate training across a diverse range of program and geographies
- Human Resources – thinks strategically and demonstrates connectivity with training strategy and overall human resources goals
- Business Acumen – demonstrates a solid understanding of the business based on own experience
- Knowledge of overall hotel operations is a benefit but not essential
- Ability to use standard software applications including Word, Excel, Power Point and use of audiovisual equipment
- Planning skills
- Self-Motivated and ability to take initiative action without relying on directions from others all the time, whilst keeping
Direct manager informed
- Ability to network and build relationships by various communication means
- Ability to exercise flexibility rather than rigid adherence to procedures in order to accomplish goals
- Strong problem-solving skills; encourages new innovative solutions when appropriate
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- Effective conflict management skills, respecting a diverse, multi-cultural environment
Education or Certification
- University degree in Hotel or Business Management preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent minimum requirement in conjunction with a minimum of 5 years industry experience
PERFORMANCE CONTRIBUTIONS, COMPETENCIES & BEHAVIOURS
- Builds credibility with others and encourages strong working relationships.
- Creates a work environment in which others feel comfortable sharing thoughts and feedback.
- Shows awareness of how own behavior impacts others and the work environment.
- Encourages others to work together.
- Models and empowers others to anticipate and respond to customer preferences and feedback.
- Clearly explains policies in ways that create strong customer relationships.
- Monitors customer satisfaction and takes appropriate action.
- Resolves customer issues and concerns raised by direct reports.
- Creates an environment where everyone is valued and included.
- Models and coaches others on representing the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
- Acts when others are treated unfairly or are not valued and respected for their unique skills.
- Looks for and uses ideas and opinions from diverse sources.
- Attracts, develops, and retains a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
- Gives all associates the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
- Organizes activities that promote inclusion.
- Maintains an awareness of changing customer and associate characteristics.
GENERATING TALENT AND ORGANIZATIONAL CAPABILITY
- Ensures the right jobs are in place to do the work.
- Looks for ways to better organize work and assign tasks.
- Continuously improves work processes.
- Brings together the appropriate mix of associate knowledge and skills to do the job.
- Models and coaches direct reports on scope of decision-making authority.
- Uses meetings and other forums to regularly communicate with team.
- Creates a team environment that supports feedback and ongoing development
- Models and sets expectations for desired or required – pick one behavior, knowledge, and skill levels.
- Develops direct reports by identifying needs and helping them build development plans.
- Supports recruitment efforts and builds relationships to attract top talent.
- Models and coaches others on making effective hiring decisions using available tools and processes.
- Ensures successful on-boarding of new talent.
- Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
- Communicates to others why change is happening and how it impacts their work.
- Shows flexibility when managing multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Provides resources that help others deal with change and challenges.
- Adjusts team and own priorities when experiencing change or challenges.
- Determines how change impacts others and communicates concerns to leadership.
Communication & Professional Demeanor
- Clearly presents complex information using different methods.
- Adapts communication style based on the audience.
- Demonstrates active listening to ensure understanding.
- Models and coaches others on appropriately interpreting verbal and non-verbal behavior.
- Models and coaches others on displaying professionalism and gaining respect from others.
Problem Solving & Decision Making
- Identifies issues and makes suggestions to solve complex problems related to daily operations.
- Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts.
- Looks for and shares information with others before making a decision.
- Models and coaches others on identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions.
- Involves and gains agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Makes complex decisions and takes action in a reasonable amount of time.
LEARNING & APPLYING PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE
- Sets own career goals and identifies developmental areas for self and direct reports.
- Uses resources and challenging assignments to improve performance of self and direct reports.
- Gathers, shares, and uses information about discipline trends and best practices.
- Sets aside department training hours to support associate development.
- Coaches and holds direct reports accountable for professional growth.
- Ensures direct reports understand how their work impacts property and team performance.
- Coaches others on the drivers of performance and their impact on key business and property metrics.
- Shows an understanding of how different customer groups have different revenue potential.
- Identifies innovative ways to improve, productivity, guest/associate satisfaction, and profitability.
- Maintains strong technical knowledge and skills and models their use for others.
- Models and promotes the appropriate use of facilities, equipment, and materials to perform the job.
- Demonstrates and shares expertise in policies, procedures, and legal requirements.
- Manages and completes complex technical assignments and coaches others on solving advanced technical issues.
- Demonstrates and reinforces technical standards and processes to support work requirements.
Building & Contributing to Teams
- Promotes teamwork by explaining how each associate supports shared goals.
- Builds commitment to team goals by explaining how they support department and property success.
- Works with team members to solve issues and make decisions that impact them.
- Manages disagreements among team members.
- Recognizes department, team, and individual achievements.
Driving for Results
- Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, and innovation.
- Makes sure direct reports understand performance expectations.
- Sets and tracks goal progress for self and direct reports.
- Monitors the work of direct reports to ensure it is completed on time and meets expectations.
- Breaks down barriers so direct reports can accomplish their work.
Planning & Organizing
- Prioritizes group activities based on importance, urgency, and impact to goals.
- Manages team workload and delegates assignments appropriately.
- Ensures direct reports have the equipment, materials, and other resources needed to accomplish their work.
- Avoids conflicts when setting project timelines and communicates key milestones and deadlines to others.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.